Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carriefaith

Graves Disease

If you have an allergy to wheat, I don't understand how you could be reacting to it since you are gluten free!!
I ate out at a restaurant the day before I got the bad heart problems. The food was "gluten free", but I suspect that it was contaminated.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Join eNewsletter

I dont remember if my eyes were red at all. If they were it might have been from lack of sleep. The Graves caused me to be "wired" so I didnt sleep all that much even though I was physically exhausted. Sore eyes and pressure right behind my eyes was my worst symptom.

Rachel....your comment about the eyes got my attention. My 20 year old son has been bothered by his eyes since he was about 6 or 7. We have tried everything imaginable...opthalmologists, neurologists, you name it....and no one can figure out why his eyes hurt. Of course, the end diagnosis is that he does it to himself. Where have we heard that story before??? I'm going to get him gene tested as a start, but now I'm wondering if Graves could be a possibility? When he was young he couldn't explain his eye pain, and now that he's older he describes it as a pressure behind his eyes and he often like to use his fingers to put pressure on his closed eyes for relief. Certain stores and their lights bother him, too. It really drives him nuts. Last time he saw his doctor he was saying maybe it was low grade migraine, but heck, can a kid have a migraine that starts at age 6 and never stops? I don't think so. Of course the dr. wanted to prescribe Topamax for the eye pain, and the side effect descriptions for that drug were really horrible so I didn't want him to take it.

My eyes have hurt occasionally, and it seems like what he describes, so now I wonder about it all. Since I have 2 genes (celiac and gluten sens.) I know my son will have one or the other of them. But I'm wondering how to pursue the graves idea.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter