Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munchkinette

Roommates?

Sometime this week I'm going to have a family meeting with my 2 roommates. We all share a kitchen and many utensils. I just bought a breadmaker and it's going to be totally off limits. The toaster is shared but it's the oven kind with a crumb tray. (I'm not so sensitive that I'm worried about it.)

What other things should I look out for? I'm going to mention the colander (which is used for pasta sometimes) and maybe get a new one. What other things have caused problems in the past? Is there one brand of dish soap or dishwashing method that you all prefer? We don't have a dishwasher. My roommates understand why this is an issue (one has dairy problems anyway), but they don't know a lot about wheat containing products or contamination. (I'm new to this too!)

Maybe mention getting seperate butter dishes. My husband just know to get out as much butter as he needs on the first dip and not to put the knife back in there. So we just have one dish, but for your situation a seperate butter dish might be a better solution.

I have a separate butter (actually smart Balance) container than the rest of the family. It's so easy to 'double dip' when you're not thinking about it. The same goes for any condiment you have. One solution is to use the squeeze type whenever possible. Another thing is wooden cutting boards and utensils. I would always prepare my food on a clean plate or plastic wrap, or something like that. Anything to avoid the crumbs!