This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Went gluten free for 1.5 weeks before my blood test

doenut

doenut Newbie

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to get to the bottom of my digestive issues.  I've had an ongoing (nearly 30 years) series of problems, beginning with nausea, constipation, painful indigestion when eating bread up to more recently having to go for a number two up to 9 times a day with urgency, wretched flatulence, abdominal discomfort, brain-fog and fatigue.

I tried going gluten free as I felt so bad, and I think it made a bit of an improvement in the week and a half I did it.  I then contacted my GP and she arranged a blood test to diagnose celiac disease (I think it said TTG on the blood sample sheet).  Anyway, now I'm concerned the 1.5 weeks of being gluten-free will impact the results.  I did delay the test slightly and went back on gluten for a week before I gave my sample.  Is this likely to give an inaccurate result?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Did you mention to your physician that you had been making an effort to eat gluten-free for a week, two weeks before the test but that you had returned to eating gluten a week before the test? Not sure that brief hiatus from gluten would totally invalidate the test but it might have some mitigating effect on the actual scores. I would bring that up with the physician if the tests are not definitive.

doenut Newbie

I didn't mention it at the time, but once the results come I will.

Scott Adams Grand Master

It's difficult to say for sure, but what typically happens is that the antibodies they are trying to measure drop on a daily basis as soon as you go gluten-free. Normally you need to eat gluten daily until you finish all tests for the results to be accurate. All you can do now is wait and see. 

Did you feel any better on a gluten-free diet?

doenut Newbie

I did start to feel a bit better, less frequency going to the bathroom and less discomfort.  I think my energy was picking up too, but it wasn't very long that I was gluten-free so it may have just been a coincidence.  Right now I'm so foggy headed I can't really remember properly.

DJFL77I Experienced

1.5 weeks is not going to make any difference