Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Reaction to Covid vaccine

Rate this topic

I’ve just had the Pfizer vaccine. I was really worried about it. My body has always had a really strong immune response. Apparently this is normal for a celiac, we have a stronger immune systems. Whenever I get an insect bite I get a hard, red patches at least 3 inches across that are unbearably itchy and take over a week to heal. Sometimes the bites have a red patch 6 inches across, a blister a size of 25c coin and are so sensitive I can’t bear anything touching them.

Immediately after the vaccine I felt incredibly tired and went straight to bed. After an hour I woke up feeling chilly. Now, 5 hours after the vaccine, my arm is very sore. What next? Has anyone else on the forum had the Pfizer vaccine?

Celiac disease – the gift that gives on giving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

To me it sounds like you are experiencing a normal reaction to the vaccine--your immune system has been activated, which it should be, and is now developing antibodies against covid. Severe reactions typically occur during the first 30 minutes to 4 hours, although there are probably examples where some people had severe reactions later. A sore arm and chills fit into the "common side effects" category:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/Pfizer-BioNTech.html

Evidently the 2nd shot produces a slightly worse reaction in most people.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com