Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Canned chicken ingredients causing issues

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, just wanted to pick your brain about the following ingredients...

cooked chicken breast with rib meat, water, contains less than 2% of the following: modified food starch, salt, sodium phosphates.

I have ate two cans of the Brookdale's canned chicken and the first time I thought perhaps was something else, but today I experience symptoms again and I am wondering if perhaps is the modified food starch thing? I know it does not say Gluten free but I I thought perhaps it was ok to have these type of fast chicken serving...

Anyhow, I will stop having it but want to understand the reason, thank you much! 🖖

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Those ingredients are gluten-free. These lists might be helpful:

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

As a celiac who can't even handle the smallest traces of gluten I avoid everything with modified starch unless it's specified it's made from corn, tapioca or rice. I've even reacted to maltitol with 0,002% gluten.
You don't know what that starch is made from. They can modify it any way they want, but if it's a couple of molecules left you might react to it if you're like me. Glucose syrup, maltodextrin and dextrose are other sneaky ingredients. 

If the doctor mention IBS, run. 

I just want to point out that the ingredients you mentioned, if made in the USA, would be gluten-free, including maltitol, which is made from corn. I am not sure how maltitol could test positive for gluten, and I would not call any of these ingredients "sneaky," as they are gluten-free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltitol

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

14 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

I just want to point out that the ingredients you mentioned, if made in the USA, would be gluten-free, including maltitol, which is made from corn. I am not sure how maltitol could test positive for gluten, and I would not call any of these ingredients "sneaky," as they are gluten-free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltitol

You're lucky in the US. Here, dextrose and all those ingredients can be made from anything. I've seen labels with "(wheat)" written after those those ingredients. Some doesn't mention anything. If all of those ingredients are all made from corn in the US, it makes it a lot easier. 

If the doctor mention IBS, run.