• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

DingoGirl

Dumb Question.....

Rate this topic

Hello all,

Without doing vast amounts of research...and feeling kind of ignorant about this, can anyone quickly tell me if there's any difference between Celiac, Celiac Sprue, tropical sprue, or just "sprue?" There was a post on here just using the word SPRUE - is that a variation of Celiac, or just another name for it?

Thanks! Just trying to figure all this out and don't have time to research at the moment! :)

Susan

"Celiac", "Celiac sprue", "nontropical sprue" and "sprue" all refer to "gluten sensitive enteropathy". "Tropical sprue" is another disease altogether, unrelated to gluten sensitivity. My impression is that "sprue" is an older term that is being replaced in current usage by the term "Celiac".

Steve

"Celiac", "Celiac sprue", "nontropical sprue" and "sprue" all refer to "gluten sensitive enteropathy". "Tropical sprue" is another disease altogether, unrelated to gluten sensitivity. My impression is that "sprue" is an older term that is being replaced in current usage by the term "Celiac".

Steve

Yep, all of that is my understanding as well. Only point I'm not sure of is whether or not "sprue" is an older term. May be. I just know that my GI prefers that to Celiac. You know I don't even remember why. He did tell me, but he definitely uses "Sprue" and sometimes "Celiac Sprue" in reference to my disease, but he doesn't use "Celiac."

Thanks for those answers....makes sense. Forgot to ask what "refractory sprue" is..... :blink:

Basically, refractory sprue means that despite a strict gluten-free diet the villi do not heal over time. A steroid (predniosne, etc.) is the treatment for refractory sprue. It can, however, be very difficult to treat.