• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

JacobsMom

Question About School

Rate this topic

Those of you with school age children have you found a lunch box that works well keeping food cold. Also any tips you can give me would be great. Jacob starts pre-school soon and will go to summer camp the end of May so I am kinda freaking out!!! It will be alot different b/c his teacher at daycare is great with his food and the school cant do like she does. I will send all of his food everyday and I am worried that something will not stay cold. They did tell me they would let him use the fridge so that is good.

Thanks alot!!

If they will let him use the fridge then you are all set. Just clearly label his lunch bag with his name and that he has celiac disease, so no one will open the bag. If he doesn't have access to a fridge at camp, maybe invest in an ice pack and keep in in a small cooler. You can get coolers in soft lunch bag-like material.

Yep, when I go on day-long road trips or plane-trips (those suck, btw), I take a soft-sided insulated lunch cooler (the size of a regular lunch box) with an ice pack in it. It'll keep things cold for about 12 hours for me.

My son was getting way to much cross contamination from the table. I suggest you send a very large napkin to lay out on the table before he eats, and a normal napkin too.

In the end we ended up taking him out of the public school and are very happy we put him in a private school. Even though there are less children the janitor wipes down the tables before lunch and after lunch.

L.

When I was a kid, I was a known wheat allergy. Alas, the thing seemed to 'go away' around purbery, and then came back hard, but by that time I thought it had to be something else........ *ARGH!*

But when I was going to grade school, I used thermos jars. They are like a regular thermos, only shorter, with larger tops.

I take a freezer pack with me to work for the car rides and use a napkin on the table, too. No one thinks twice about it, really. We have a refrigerator and I have been very pleased with how no one touches anyone elses food, so, I have started placing things in there during the day. If he can use their fridge that will be nice. Just make sure you talk to him about why he has to keep his food there and use a napkin on the table.