• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have been celiac for a couple of months now. I am having problems with my fingernails having ridges and they have becaome very brittle. I am still trying to find a balance of food and products. how do you know if a lotion or sampoo etc....has gluten? God Bless.....Deena

I've had my thyroid checked regularly. Everything is always within the normal range. Before I was gluten-free, I had a dip in each thumbnail. I also had very brittle toenails--one of them actually broke off after a very minor bump against the shower stall. After 10 months on the diet, all of my nails look so much better--thumbnails are completely normal looking. As for the toes--this is the first time in many years I'm not running for the polish in order to wear sandals! :D

This is a problem for me too, and my thyroid is fine at the moment. Problems with nails are a sign of malnutrition and it will probably take a while of being gluten-free for it to work it's way out, I guess. I think I must be starting to absorb vitamins better now (have been gluten-free for 4 months) as my nails are breaking less often. However, they are all still ridged and have white flecks.

If you google finger nail ridges, you'll come up with some good info - I did it only a few days ago.

Really...brittle nails are a sign of hyperthyroidism? How do they test for hyper/hypo thyroidism? Just curious...I've had brittle/rigged nails for as long as I could remember, and my Mom has thyroid issues.

It's a simple blood test that includes TSH and various T3 & T4 levels. Be careful about what range they use to diagnose hypo. If you've got symptoms, family history and your TSH is above 2.5, insist on getting treated! Too many doctors rely on outmoded TSH ranges to diagnose hypo!

It's a simple blood test that includes TSH and various T3 & T4 levels. Be careful about what range they use to diagnose hypo. If you've got symptoms, family history and your TSH is above 2.5, insist on getting treated! Too many doctors rely on outmoded TSH ranges to diagnose hypo!

Thank you all for your input....I have been tested and they always say my thyroid is fine, but I seem to have many symptoms.....And my moms would go from hypo to hyper.....I sometimes wonder if DR.'s know anything.......There is only one true healer.....IN CHRIST NAME....Deena

:rolleyes: I've had brittle nails my whole life. This includes the time before my thyroid quit functioning. I have no clue, except they seem to break less as I go along with this diet. I am at about the 5 year mark.

I've been gluten-free for 2 months, and I just started to notice recently that my nails (toe and finger) are stronger and growing like crazy! I like them short so it's driving me a little batty cutting them almost every day. If it's a sign of improving health, though, I'll take it!

I have been gluten-free for over 2 1/2 yrs. and my nails have definately gotten better. However, I was watching a Dr. Oz show about unusual beauty tips throughout the world and I tried the following: cut-up a clove of garlic and add it to your clear nail polish. (use as a basecoat)I have been using it for about three weeks and it seems to help. It does have a garlic odor when you put it on but, that dissipates as it dries. It reminds me of the Nail-tec system and costs ALOT less!