This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gatlinbug & Pigeon Forge

swittenauer

swittenauer Enthusiast

My family is going to Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge in July & we were wondering if anyone has any suggestions about where to eat or has had any experiences being gluten free on vacation there. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

I went camping to the "quiet side of the smokies" but went into Gatlinburg one day and we ate at the Texas Roadhouse and I didn't have any problems. The rest of the time, we ate our own food.

I know a lot of others have been there without problems though...I am sure they will respond soon.

lisaemu Contributor
My family is going to Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge in July & we were wondering if anyone has any suggestions about where to eat or has had any experiences being gluten free on vacation there. Thanks!

Hey, I started a topic about this in the travel section I think. I just went here in Easter. We stayed in a cabin with a kitchen, which was really nice and something I'd recommend. (I did notice a lot of hotels- some as cheap as $20/nnight advertising a microwave and fridge in-room which would also help.) We found a really good place- Bennet's BBQ- they had a really good, and pretty cheap, breakfast buffet (TONS of fresh fruit). There are the chains, like outback and olive garden which ive heard have gluten free menus. There also seems to be locally owned restaurants, that would probably be very willing to accomodate you. Dixie Stampede is fun, and if you call they can tell you what contains gluten (i havent eaten here since going gluten free tho). A few problems I did notice- In dollywood we went to a bufffet, and EVERYTHING seemed to contain gluten. The kettle korn there seems like it would be gluten free (they have the ingredients on the bucket, and they make it right in front of you). Another potential problem- the old Mill restuarant (i didnt eat here gluten free, but i remember when i went here a few years ago that the meal was quite flour heavy- which makes sense since they grind their flour on site i believe). They might be able to accomodate you, I'm not sure. Im not sure if you have been to the area before, but there are a TON of restaurants so you are bound to find something. Let me know if you need more help.

swittenauer Enthusiast

We have been there several times but not since my husband was diagnosed. I was hoping that since it is such a poplular travel area that maybe some of the restaurants had run into this before & are somewhat knowledgeable & helpful.

• 2 months later...
swittenauer Enthusiast

Well, we just got back from Gatlinburg & ate wonderfully there. The Black Bear Jamboree was awesome. My husband got 2 pieces of chicken, green beans, corn, fruit, etc. We also hit the Outback Steakhouse while there. He had a great experience & everyone was very helpful in helping him remain gluten free.

floridanative Community Regular

Were is the Black Bear Jamboree - in the town of at Dollywood park? Just found out last night my husband's family reunion is in Pigeon Forge and I don't want to go unless we get to go to Dollywood. I need to rent a cabin or condo with a kitchenette (with a stove not just micro). Can you recommend any place or a rental website you may have used? We are supposed to made a decision on going by next week. Luckily lots of the family will be in one large house and we'll eat dinner there - I'll just have to bring my own because I can't imagine they'd have anything without gluten in it. They rarely do a salad and they don't know I have Celiac yet or what it is (I'm guessing).

swittenauer Enthusiast

The Black Bear Jamboree is in Pigeon Forge. We always stay with Dodgen Cabins. I have been 4 or 5 times & they are always wonderful. dodgencabins.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

floridanative Community Regular

Perfect and thanks!! I found out there is one place in Dollywood that knows what is gluten free and another place that had ribbon fries from a ded. fryer. This is hard to get used to - having to think about where you're going to eat when out of town. But we are on the go alot so I'm getting used to it. I'll check out the rental place you use. This is a hot spot and many places are booked through Oct. The reunion is in late Sept. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
mcsteffi Rookie

We went there in Feb and I found the restaurants very easy to deal with. I will have to ask my husband the place we ended up eating at but it was very good. They ground their own hamburger so we got that w/ out the bun and it was great. I will see if he remembers and post it.

Stephanie

swittenauer Enthusiast

If he remembers that would be great. We are headed back to Gatlinburg later this month.

mcsteffi Rookie

All either one of us can remember is it has Smokehouse in the name. It was in the yellow pages of the phone book and the ad said something about making their own hamburgers. When I called to check some other items the guy I talked (think it was the manager or assi. manager) to was very nice and seemed to know quite a bit. Have fun on your trip!!

Stephanie

Archived