• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Maltodextrin should be gluten free if it is produced in the United States, but in other places it might be questionable. I tend to make it a policy to call the company and check if the product is gluten free if I see things like maltodextrin, natural flavors, modified food starch, vinegar (if it doesn't specifiy whether or not it is distilled or a vinegar other than white) etc in the ingredients label. Usually the company will confirm that it's safe, but other times they might disclose the fact that even if the maltodextrin is ok, the product might be at risk for cross-contamination. People who have other ways of going about it might give you different advice. In my mind, it never hurts to check.

Guest Viola

Yes, Malto dextrin is made from corn starch in both the US and Canada. It is gluten free :D

It can also be rice based. Not just corn.

It can be rice or wheat, but if so must be labelled. Food sold in Canada and the US with the unqualified ingredient maltodextrin must be of corn-based maltodextrin. The product could still contain gluten from another ingredient, but the maltodextrin is gluten-free. This is true regardless of the country of origin of the food. To be sold in Canada or the US it must conform to Canadian or US labelling regulations respectively.

Interesting.

I eat a vegan cheese that is maltodextrin derived, and was getting a little ill from it when I was rice sensitive, and noticed that the maltodextin in French was listed as 'riz' (rice in French), but in English, it wasn't labelled. I called the company (and it says on the website, too), that it is a combo of corn and rice.

As said before, Maltodextrin can be in U.S products but it must say wheat right on the label by it. So if you see a label that says Maltodextrin and it just says that...if it is in the U.S it will be safe.

My daughter was diagnosed in March as being celiac and my brain is reeling with the celiac "dos" and "don'ts" as I relearn how to cook and read labels. So...my understanding is that maltodextrin is fine if made in the U.S. or Canada. Dextrin, on the other hand...is not gluten-free...correct?

My daughter was diagnosed in March as being celiac and my brain is reeling with the celiac "dos" and "don'ts" as I relearn how to cook and read labels. So...my understanding is that maltodextrin is fine if made in the U.S. or Canada. Dextrin, on the other hand...is not gluten-free...correct?