• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

cebarnes

High Blood Pressure After Starting The gluten-free Diet?

Rate this topic

I started the gluten free diet a couple of months ago, and we have noticed my blood pressure has gone up over the last few weeks...Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, any ideas what to do about it?

Thanks,

Carl Barnes

Hi Carl--welcome to the board!

I had high blood pressure before I was diagnosed. I have been gluten-free for a year, and just recently have removed a lot of troublesome foods out of my diet (in addition to gluten, of course). My blood pressure has dropped from around 160/110 to 120/69 at my drs. appt last week.

I can't help but think there must be a connection there.

Mine has always been on the low side, but since going gluten free, it's really low. I'm not much help either I guess...sorry! I do eat some convenience foods like frozen organic veggies and canned tomatoes, etc. but eat very little highly processed "packaged" foods.

My blood pressure goes up, up, up if I eat a lot of starchy, sugary refined products. If I stick to meat, veggies, fruit and that sort of thing it goes down very nicely.

Guest nini

mine was really high before starting the diet, and has been going down, but is still somewhat elevated sometimes... (three years into the diet)... I'm also taking Atenolol for high blood pressure too...

my bp actually went up at first also...but i think it was because I was eating a lot of processed gluten-free foods and sugary/salty crap to make up for feeling deprived. But I got over that...more fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats...bp back down.

I started the gluten free diet a couple of months ago, and we have noticed my blood pressure has gone up over the last few weeks...Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, any ideas what to do about it?

Thanks,

Carl Barnes