This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Fly Air Canada

elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

I'll be flying with them in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone had experienced thier gluten free menu option. I always have food with me, so I'll be fine if it sucks, but I'd like to know if its worth even attempting to order, being that its an 11 hour flight.

Thanks

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

As far as I know they don't have a gluten-free menu option now. In fact, you have to buy everything you eat now (they come around with their cart, and take only cash, if you want something to eat). A snack is at least $2.00, and the lunch choices are $5.00 and up. The only thing that still comes with the cost of the flight is non-alcoholic drinks.

I looked through their menu choices (if you want to call it that) in the flight magazine, and didn't see anything gluten-free. They of course have vegetarian choices (even though vegetarians won't get sick if eating meat), but no diet choices for necessary diets. It made me really mad! My daughter saw nothing she liked or could eat (the things she would have sort of liked had cheese, and she is intolerant to all dairy, especially cheese). So, on our five hour flight to Vancouver, she only had a snack. We brought our own food for the return flight, and everybody was much happier.

So, I would suggest for you to bring your own food, it will be cheaper, and you will know you're safe.

elonwy Enthusiast

They only offer the gluten free option on thier international flights, which is possibly why it wasn't available. I know that alot of our airlines here are doing the same thing.

Wherever I go, there is always at least a snack bar in my purse. I never leave the house without some kind of food. When I travel it tuens into a backpack.

Elonwy

Daxin Explorer

The only thing I can suggest is call ahead, or mention it when you book your tickets.

The menu is made by the people who bring you Kelsy's, Montana's, Swiss Chalet etc. There MUST be something for us to eat.

It never hurts to ask.

elonwy Enthusiast

I called them and ordered it. Guy on the phone seemed pretty knowledgable, and its early, so hopefully they'll do well with it. I will scrutinize every inch of it before it goes in my mouth though, I'll tell you that much.

Elonwy

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
. They of course have vegetarian choices (even though vegetarians won't get sick if eating meat), but no diet choices for necessary diets.

Actually, I have heard from several vegetarian friends that they have gotten sick when they have eaten meat. They all report that they eventually "got used to it," and were then able to digest it, but that the first week or so, they were miserable. This, of course, is only second-hand info, as I have never been truly vegetarian. I'm sure there's someone reading this thread who can give us first-hand info!

Deej Newbie

The last time I flew Air Canada (which IS the last time I'll fly Air Canada), I ordered the gluten-free meal. When dinner time came, they brought me a regular meal. I told them I'd ordered gluten-free. They told me, um, there wasn't one on board but I could have the extra vegetarian meal if I wanted - it was veggie lasagna. :blink:

I love to be other places. I hate the travelling. Airlines and airports are the bane of my existence. There is NOTHING to eat. I learned, later than I should have, to bring my own food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Ack. Hopefully it'll work out. I'll have a purse full of larabars and cookies, so I'll make it :)

Vegetarians do get sick from eating meat. My mom's a vegetarian and I did it for 8 years and went out on a Quarter pounder with cheese and was sick for about three days. I gradually introduced meat back into my diet starting with easier things like chicken and fish, but it does take time for your body to get used to digesting meat protiens again. Especially people that eat vegan can get really sick from eating meat because thier body doesn't know what to do with it. They don't get sick like we do, but its not good.

Elonwy

sasha1234 Newbie

The Air Canada meal on International flights is a rice and bean caserole thing... and they have a gluten-free muffin type thing and some sort of salad, don't remember what though... my friend is celiac too and she says it's good for airplane food, I can't have it cause of allergies but yes... she's been successful

Archived