This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tooth Decay And Celiac?

MNB

MNB Newbie

SO.. I had this major revelation last night.

6 months ago I went in for a dental check up and to my surprise came away needing 8 procedures (root canals, cavities ect.) was puzzled because although I was overdue for a cleaning (1yr) I wondered how my teeth could have gotten so bad in such a short amount of time.

After continuing to feeling sick for several months I had blood work done at my Rheumatologist - a Vitamin D deficientcy came up. Normal was something like 42-85 and I registered a 20. I just started taking a stronger multi-vitamin but still didn't feel right. I have been diagnosed w/ Lupus so usually when I feel bad I just assume it's the lupus.

I am now awaiting an enterolab kit to test for the gluten intolerance. I've only been gluten free for over 1 week now, but already notice improvement in my stomach and digestive problems. I'm now starting to wonder if the intolerance to gluten could have triggered the Vitamin D deficiency, which could have caused the unexplained excessive tooth decay. :unsure:

Anyone else have anything similar happen?

I also have a bone density scheduled which should tell me more (hopefully)

Michelle-

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

My teeth are KILLING me! I have a cleaning every six months without fail and they are incredibly painful now - I was able to use nitrous oxide (wonderful stuff) at my dentist's in Monterey, but no one uses it here so I actually have to get valium for my cleanings. My teeth hurt all the time - the molars - and some appear to have enamel worn off. They are SO sensitive adn in fact I just had three cavities, hadn't had one in seven years.

Is this from a vitamin D deficiciency? My dentist didn't know anything about a connection between Celiac and dental issues, and I haven't had time to research.

jenvan Collaborator

It can happen. I have had a very high rate of decay for years...and I floss, brush every day. My dentist believes it was b/c of my Celiac. I have been gluten-free since Feb '05 and this last appt I had a few months ago my dentist said my teeth and gums have never looked better. She believes both have improved in response to the diet.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Jen that is good news....my gums are really receding in the back and maybe that will stop? I hope so....I don't know what to do about those couple of molars that are so sensitive I can't even touch them - can you get some sort of fake enamel coating put on? I am really tired of the increasing pain and having to let everything come to room temp or I will scream!

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't have a lot of decay--only one filling--but I do have a problem with teeth cracking and breaking. One of my front teeth is bonded because of this. I've had a wisdom tooth pulled due to breaking, and another tooth that has a broken corner. Celiac can definately cause vitamin/mineral deficiency because we don't absorb properly while eating gluten.

corinne Apprentice

Just before I started a gluten-free diet in January, I got 6 cavities. I have my teeth checked and cleaned every 6 months and I had never had a cavity before so it must be something to do with malabsorption. My next check-up is on Monday and I hope that there will be good news ie no more new cavities.

jenvan Collaborator
Jen that is good news....my gums are really receding in the back and maybe that will stop? I hope so....I don't know what to do about those couple of molars that are so sensitive I can't even touch them - can you get some sort of fake enamel coating put on? I am really tired of the increasing pain and having to let everything come to room temp or I will scream!

Wow--I'm sorry to hear that! I hate sensitive teeth!! My gums tend to be sensitive--but that has improved. Which I would say could be from 1. the receeding improving (likely in response to the diet) or 2. switching to a tom's of maine no flouride toothpaste, vs a crest etc. Someone here I believe, mentioned the toothpaste switch reducing their pain. (Make sure you aren't using some heavy-duty or whitening type toothpaste--that can make it worse). Have you talked to your dentist about your issue? The only things I know of are general desensitizing agents and bonding. I believe your dentist can apply agents or you can just try ones on your own. I also just pasted a good summary of the options...depending on what your issue is.

Desensitizing toothpaste. Available over the counter, this toothpaste may help block sensations from traveling to the nerve. However, it does take several uses to notice the effects.

Fluoride gel. Applied in the dentist’s office, fluoride gel or another, more powerful, desensitizing agent, may work better than the toothpastes to fill in the cracks of your teeth and dull the pain.

Filling, crown or bonding. Depending on the source of the sensitivity, one of the following agents may help to fill in cracks in your tooth.

Gum graft. If you have gum disease, a surgical gum graft can cover exposed roots and reduce sensitivity.

Root canal. This procedure works by removing part of the affected nerve of a tooth, removing the ability for it to feel any pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MNB Newbie
My teeth are crummy... and I brush and floss morning and night everyday....have a bunch of fillings and 7 root canals so far... :angry: I hope my teeth get better too.... (and I hate dentists :P )

Great to hear I'm not alone out there with the tooth thing - I'm looking forward to my teeth improving too! ;)

Thanks,

Michelle

floridanative Community Regular

I never miss a cleaning and last year right after I was dx'd with anemia, I was told by the dentist I needed a root canal. So I had that and then another cleaning last month now shows two more cavities...I hope this will be the end of my teeth problems since I've been gluten free for 5 months now and everything else has improved to the point that I never felt better (except for shoulder injury I'm working on).

Now does anyone know if novacaine is gluten free? Or lanicane? That is whay they said they have to give me to get the fillings.

Archived