This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Starving!

nursingmommie

nursingmommie Rookie

Well I'm on day 3 now of trying to be gluten free and I feel so hungry all the time even right after eating. Is this normal? Maybe a detox symptom? Avoiding gluten sure forces you to eat healthy! Which is a good thing of course. Maybe I'm not getting as many calories now and need to add some snacks in. I didn't realize how much of what I ate had wheat in it. Oh and I wanted to ask, I'll have to check the store, but is there a gluten free teriyaki sauce? Thanks so much!

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I believe the brand that is gluten free is San-j, be sure to read ingredients before buying though. As far as appetite, you definately need to do what is necessary to keep up your energy and supply baby with what he/she needs. I eat very large meals, which works for me (usually 2 during the week and 3 on the weekend), but many others do better on more frequent smaller meals. Lara bars are good, can you eat nut butters? I find I stay fuller on rice/eggs/meat type based meals, but again everyone is different. If you want some bread the rice bread our family has liked is enjoy life or food for life. You'll find a lot of variety for what different people like to though. What I like about enjoy life is that they are free of the main allergens and I believe are on a dedicated facility. Click Open Original Shared Link for there website.

samking72 Rookie

Hello! I've had alot of luck at Whole Foods Market. Check out their website and see if one is around you. Try "Think Thin" meal replacement bars. There are alot of flavors and they aren't too bad. Also, Mr. Krispers baked rice crisps. You can get sour cream, bbq and salt and pepper. Arrowroot cookies, they are farely common in basic grocery stores. (All of rhe above have "gluten-free" printed on the box/bag.) There's always fruit or raw veggies!! Not as yummy but they do the trick. I like to snack on Tostitos with salsa and sour cream mixed. I'm pretty sure Fruity and Coco Pebbles are gluten-free. You might want to double check though. If you don't have a good place to show in your area... there's always online. Which sometimes is alot easier to avoid crowds- all those health nuts!! Hope you find something good to eat!!

aikiducky Apprentice

Eat more protein. :) Gluten is a protein, and you've just cut it out of your diet... you'll feel the absence of it if you don't substitute with some other kind of protein. An egg, some tuna, a bit more meat than you used to eat. It'll keep you feeling full longer.

Plus, it's not uncommon to feel hungry in the beginning, your body has been starving for nutrients and all the good stuff in food that it hasn't been able to absorb. So don't worry too much about eating too much, give your body the nutrition it needs and get healthy!

Pauliina

Yenni Enthusiast

I have had problems with hunger like that too. But I had it before AND after I stopped with Gluten. The last year before I stopped it got really bad with the hunger. It seems like it has gotten a little bit better lately. I have been gluten free since early april.

I know wthat the stomach can "feel hungry" if it is unhappy in general. It's like the brain misstakes the unhappiness for hunger.

I am not an expert though.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

When I first went gluten-free I was so hungry all the time! My dietician recommended a small serving of nuts with every meal. Apparently the fats in the nuts help your food stick around a little longer and not digest as fast. I also made sure to carry snack bars (like Lara or Cliff Nectar) around with me. It gets better!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Did you have hyperemesis (major barfing and nausea) during pregnancy? If so, then your body might be saying, "I barely got enough nutrition during pregnancy and now you want me to PRODUCE MILK? WHAT?!?!"

Which does NOT mean don't nurse, but it definitely means that now is NOT the time to lose weight. You have the rest of your life to lose weight, but you don't have the rest of your life to provide the most important nutrition for your baby.

So eat when you are hungry--which is likely to be every single time you nurse, which is likely to be every hour and a half or so. Also drink a lot of water.

Protein is definitely good. You might crave sweets,too. In general, you will probably crave what you need, except for things like cake and cookies and other gluten-filled things. and, yes, going off gluten, I was starving, too. It only lasted a couple of weeks and then I felt much better.

Hope you feel better soon, too. Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You may not be getting enough fat in your diet. Fat and protein are what make you feel satisfied, and stop you from being hungry too soon again. Make sure you get enough of both (and make sure your fat is NOT hydrogenated fat, and yes, your body needs saturated fat to function properly).

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Eat lots of protein like chicken, steak, and fish. That should help :)

Rice Cakes Newbie

C.D. suppresses the appetite unhealthily - if you feel as if eating makes you feel good now, well gosh that's no surprise. Your insides aren't (or aren't as much of) an uncomfortable mess anymore.

TCA Contributor

I'm nursing too and I stay hungry all the time. I gave up on trying to lose weight long ago. If I cut back on calories at all, my production goes down fast. I'm dairy free now, but I used to love getting some gluten-free sandwich meat and a slice of mozzarella and melting it in the microwave for a snack. Peanut butter is a big staple for me too. I'm not a vegan, but I've never eaten a lot of meat, but I just crave protein now. I would fry a couple eggs before I went egg free for a snack. My daughter has a lot of intolerances that I had to cut out. Raw almonds are great too. Leftovers are always a hit with me! I tend to eat a lot of little meals during the day rather than 3 big ones and that helps too.

roxanne40 Newbie
Well I'm on day 3 now of trying to be gluten free and I feel so hungry all the time even right after eating. Is this normal? Maybe a detox symptom? Avoiding gluten sure forces you to eat healthy! Which is a good thing of course. Maybe I'm not getting as many calories now and need to add some snacks in. I didn't realize how much of what I ate had wheat in it. Oh and I wanted to ask, I'll have to check the store, but is there a gluten free teriyaki sauce? Thanks so much!

Nicole

Are you eating enough? When I first became gluten free, I was so stressed about eating the wrong thing that I was unconsciously not eating enough. After about a month of being tired and hungry, my husband and I figured out that I was only eating 600 to 700 calories/day! I was shocked! I thought I was eating a lot. Then I slowly figured out that I needed small meals all day long with a protein source whenever possible. For snacks, cashews became my best friends! Good luck.

Archived