This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Test

celiackids

celiackids Rookie

I had DD results come back the other day saying that she's not allergic to dairy. It says that Class 1 she's allergic to egg whites and beef. Class 2 she is allergic to diff. fruits and veggies. I still say that dairy is an issue. I don't agree w/the test. Also she's not lactose intolerant. She has been off of dairy for over a month now even b4 taking the test.

Do you know if that'll give a false result in the test if she hasn't had that particular food/dairy??????

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiackids Rookie

BTW, she bloats and is gassy everytime she drinks or eats dairy. You can't tell me that dairy isn't an issue. Do these tests really work? Oh yeah, wheat didn't even show up. What's up with that?

penguin Community Regular

Wheat didn't show up because celiac isn't an allergy. It's an autoimmune intolerance and stirs up different types of antibodies from allergies.

She may be lactose intolerant because her villi are still damaged from the celiac, and lactase (the enzyme that digests lactose) is produced on the tips of the villi. That would cause the gas and bloating after having dairy.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I know for gluten, the allergy test is different than the intolerance test. I would imagine it's the same with dairy. I was tested for casein intolerance by Enterolab. I get similar symptoms when I consume casein as I do when I consume gluten.

celiackids Rookie

Well, I'm keeping her off of dairy. I will diagnose her myself. Thanks.

eKatherine Rookie
Well, I'm keeping her off of dairy. I will diagnose her myself. Thanks.

Bloating and gas is what lactose intolerance does to me, which won't show in an allergy test. For me, casein intolerance give me different symptoms, which have only come on recently.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

My daughter is *allergic* to wheat and dairy. And, she's gluten intolerant.

Lactose intolerance is not the same as a dairy allergy. And, an intolerance won't show up on an allergy test.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiackids Rookie

DD had a lactose test and is not intolerant to it. She's clear of being allergic to lactose, dairy and caesin. She had the breath test for lactose 3 wks. ago and the blood test for dairy!

hineini Enthusiast

I am quite lactose intolerant, sometimes even reacting to Lactaid milk or dairy products taken along with Lactaid pills. I'm doing Enterolab testing and am now gluten-free so I should find out soon if the lactose intolerance is actually a casein intolerance, or if it's just a side effect of celiac disease.

However, I've been lactose intolerant since childhood and I NEVER come up as allergic to ANYTHING (including wheat and dairy, which make me so sick... and cat dander, which gives me horrible asthma attacks!) on standard blood and skin tests done at an allergists' office.

If there's one thign I'm learning from these boards, it's that our bodies are more complicated than I ever new, and that many, if not most, doctors don't know their feet from their head when it comes to food allergies!

Archived