This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pf Changs Chicken Lettuce Wraps

justme

justme Enthusiast

does anyone know how to make the pf changs chicken lettuce wraps? they are sooo good and i'd love to try and make them at home

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

If you find out how, let me know! :)

I drive fifty miles to get to the nearest P.F. Chang's! :rolleyes:

L.

penguin Community Regular

I found this one: Open Original Shared Link

P.F.Chang's Lettuce Wraps Recipe (copycat)

Ingredients:

8 dried shiitake mushrooms

1 teaspoon cornstarch

2 teaspoons dry sherry

2 teaspoons water

salt and pepper

1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, minced

5 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 green onions, minced

2 small dried chilis (optional)

1 8 oz. can bamboo shoots, minced

1 8 oz. can water chestnuts, minced

1 package cellophane Chinese rice noodles, fried in oil for a minute or two, until they puff nicely.

Cooking Sauce:

1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon dry sherry

2 tablespoons oyster sauce

2 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons cornstarch

Lettuce of your choice to make lettuce "cups" (Butter or Bibb lettuce is my choice.)

Directions:

Cover mushrooms with boiling water, let stand 30 minutes then drain.

Cut and discard woody stems. Mince mushrooms. Set aside.

Mix all ingredients for cooking sauce in bowl, and set aside.

In medium bowl, combine cornstarch, sherry, water, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chicken.

Stir to coat chicken thoroughly.

Stir in 1 teaspoon oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate.

Heat wok or large skillet over medium high heat.

When the pan smokes a bit, add 3 tablespoons oil, then add chicken and stir fry for about 3-4 minuts. Set aside.

Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan.

Add ginger, garlic, chilis (if desired), and onion.

Stir- fry about a minute or so.

Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts; stir fry an additional 2 minutes.

Return chicken to pan.

Add mixed cooking sauce to pan.

Cook until thickened and hot.

Break the cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces, and cover bottom of serving dish with them.

Then pour chicken mixture on top of noodles.

Spoon into lettuce leaf "cups" and roll

mellajane Explorer

My boyfriend is a very picky eater.... So this is one of my when he is out of town meals. This is so easy... Pick your chicken or beef and chop it into smal 1inch pieces.

Then get your veggies; onion finely chopped,lots fresh garlic finely chopped,shredded carrots,mushrooms finely chopped.

For the sauce I use salt and Tamari soy sauce. It does not take much.

Sautee the onions and garlic together first in olive oil.

Then throw the carrots, mushrooms and cook on low for about 20 t0 25 minutes.

I also use rice in these.. Boil your rice while you are cooking the veggies.

This is where it changes a little... I love cabbage and use cabbage instead.

I first pull apart nice size pieces of cabbage.. You will roll your mixture into these.

I boil the cabbage about 10 minutes.

Turn your oven to 350*

Now you can spoon the meat and veggie mixture together in the cabbage.

Add a liitle sppon of rice.

Roll them up and stick with a toothpick.

I dash the rolls with soy sauce before putting in the oven.

Put them in a baking dish and cover with foil.

Bake for 15 minutes

Bake for 5 to 10 minutes on broil with no foil...

Good luck it seems like a lot but they are so good and a cinch to make really. The crispys I have not yet gotten down.

does anyone know how to make the pf changs chicken lettuce wraps? they are sooo good and i'd love to try and make them at home
  • 4 weeks later...
BabySnooks Rookie
I found this one: Open Original Shared Link

P.F.Chang's Lettuce Wraps Recipe (copycat)

Ingredients:

8 dried shiitake mushrooms

1 teaspoon cornstarch

2 teaspoons dry sherry

2 teaspoons water

salt and pepper

1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, minced

5 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 green onions, minced

2 small dried chilis (optional)

1 8 oz. can bamboo shoots, minced

1 8 oz. can water chestnuts, minced

1 package cellophane Chinese rice noodles, fried in oil for a minute or two, until they puff nicely.

Cooking Sauce:

1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon dry sherry

2 tablespoons oyster sauce

2 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoons cornstarch

Lettuce of your choice to make lettuce "cups" (Butter or Bibb lettuce is my choice.)

Directions:

Cover mushrooms with boiling water, let stand 30 minutes then drain.

Cut and discard woody stems. Mince mushrooms. Set aside.

Mix all ingredients for cooking sauce in bowl, and set aside.

In medium bowl, combine cornstarch, sherry, water, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chicken.

Stir to coat chicken thoroughly.

Stir in 1 teaspoon oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate.

Heat wok or large skillet over medium high heat.

When the pan smokes a bit, add 3 tablespoons oil, then add chicken and stir fry for about 3-4 minuts. Set aside.

Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan.

Add ginger, garlic, chilis (if desired), and onion.

Stir- fry about a minute or so.

Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts; stir fry an additional 2 minutes.

Return chicken to pan.

Add mixed cooking sauce to pan.

Cook until thickened and hot.

Break the cooked cellophane noodles into small pieces, and cover bottom of serving dish with them.

Then pour chicken mixture on top of noodles.

Spoon into lettuce leaf "cups" and roll

Dear Penguin,

I know there are soy sauces that are gluten free, and that some of them contain gluten. But, what about hoisin sauce and oyster sauce? Are they all gluten free, or do I have to look for a particular brand?

Sharon

Nancym Enthusiast

You might have to make your own Hoison sauce, I think all the ones I looked at contained wheat. I just nabbed a recipe off the internet.

olalisa Contributor
You might have to make your own Hoison sauce, I think all the ones I looked at contained wheat. I just nabbed a recipe off the internet.

I've seen gluten free hoisin sauce on the Gluten-Free Pantry website. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Dynasty brand hoisin is gluten-free--but I can't find a gluten-free oyster sauce! :ph34r: Anybody know where we could order one?

• 3 weeks later...
seamaiden399 Newbie

Oyster sauce is tricky. There was one at my local Chinese market that did not obviously contain gluten, and when I checked their web site they said it was gluten free, but whenever I used it I had definite symptoms. It was processed in Hong Kong, so I don't know if it was a cross contamination issue in the factory or what. Right now I am using one I found at a local market that was a bit pricey by Wok Mei- the only questionable ingredient is Caramel Color and it seems to have been processed in the US - Ca. to be specific (although I could be wrong about this, it's a little hard to tell from the bottle). (The reason I care is that generally caramel color in the US is from corn.) I did try to email their company but haven't heard back. However, for what it's worth, I have not had noticable symptoms and the flavor is good. Alternatively, you can try making your own from scratch- sounds complicated to me, but then I do largely vegetarian cooking. (obviously not FULLY veg ;)) Especially a good option if you have access to some cheap nice oysters etc. You can do a search online.

pinkpei77 Contributor

i have a really good recipe for these but with tofu.

1 head lettuce or napa cabbage

1 pkg extra firm tofu drained

1 1/2 T fresh chopped ginger

3 T fresh chopped garlic

2 1/2 C chopped s$#&ake mushrooms

salt

pepper

red pepper flakes

gluten-free tamari/soy sauce

dice tofu into small sqaures and put on cookie sheet, then cover with tamari , salt , pepper, red pepper flakes and bake for about 45 minutes at 350.

in wok/frying pan fry up the ginger and garlic first then add the mushrooms and a little more soy sauce. fry for about 5-10 minutes...add the tofu. fry for a few more minutes.

spoon into the lettuce or cabbage leaves

and WA-LA!!!

super quick and easy!!

Archived