This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Worrying About My Marathon

taz sharratt

taz sharratt Enthusiast

been a bit poorly the last 3 weeks so found it very hard to train. got back this week and yesterday did 9 miles as a first thing back in to running, my prob is ive got 2 weeks left till my marathon, im scared :unsure: i want to finish and not run, it bothers me cos i know i was doing 12-13 miles before my bit of illness but jow im worried i wont finish. i need a really good pre-race meal for the morning and the day before so im properly fueled for my race, anyone got any good tips for this one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

melie Apprentice

I feel for you! It is so hard to set goals for yourself and then maybe not have them work out. Take it easy on yourself first of all, don't push too hard. There will always be other marathons beyond 'this' one!

I would love tips on training food too, esp. a high protein breakfast that doesn't involve eggs or meat or dairy or soy...so far I haven't found it! And what to 'carb load' on before a strenuous athletic event...do people find that gluten-free pasta, etc. works as well as the real stuff?

Natlay Apprentice

I would try to eat the same kinds of foods you were eating before your long runs before. It's always best to stay with something you know is safe so you don't feel sick during the race. Try to make your last meals before the race higher in carbs and lower in fats and proteins...these take longer to digest and you don't want food sitting in your stomach while running. :blink: When I did a half marathon I took some small candies like jolly ranchers in the pocket of my shorts in case I needed some extra energy during the race.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your race...I hope to train for one next year. I was in the middle of training for one when I got sick so maybe next year B)

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I would try to eat the same kinds of foods you were eating before your long runs before. It's always best to stay with something you know is safe so you don't feel sick during the race. Try to make your last meals before the race higher in carbs and lower in fats and proteins...these take longer to digest and you don't want food sitting in your stomach while running. :blink: When I did a half marathon I took some small candies like jolly ranchers in the pocket of my shorts in case I needed some extra energy during the race.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your race...I hope to train for one next year. I was in the middle of training for one when I got sick so maybe next year B)

at the moment im loading up on fruit which isnt helping and im really knackerd after and i havent even dont the full 13 miles :o:unsure: i have tried gluten-free pasta but cooking it( sheesh :blink: ) its a nightmare, it seems to go soggy. i read the packet and its loaded with carbs so maybe i have to eat gruel to fuel me properly :angry: im trying a carb gel but i dont wanna rely on that as substanance. i think i have a prob with potatoes and poultry so trying to keep away from them. thanx

Natlay Apprentice

I think it would help if you ate more complex carbs like maybe brown rice so that it stays with you longer. Fruit and stuff is good but I think that the simple sugars in it have a more immediate effect on your blood sugar but it doesn't boost your energy for a long period like you need during a long run. I would try to eat things high in complex carbs (like brown rice) with a little protein to keep you full but not stuffed during your run. I've heard a lot of runners like to eat a small bagel with peanut butter and banana before running. I've never tried that...can't have nuts...but it sounds good :D The gels are great for during the run when you need immediate energy. Try to plan on times that you are going to eat them so that you eat it before you actually feel like you need to. That way you will keep your energy up without ever getting that drained, hungry feeling.

BTW...if you don't want to have to buy the expensive gels I've heard a lot of people use the little packets of honey you can find at restaraunts :P During my half I filled my pocket with gummy bears and candy corn to eat and they were handing out jolly ranchers on the course :D

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I think it would help if you ate more complex carbs like maybe brown rice so that it stays with you longer. Fruit and stuff is good but I think that the simple sugars in it have a more immediate effect on your blood sugar but it doesn't boost your energy for a long period like you need during a long run. I would try to eat things high in complex carbs (like brown rice) with a little protein to keep you full but not stuffed during your run. I've heard a lot of runners like to eat a small bagel with peanut butter and banana before running. I've never tried that...can't have nuts...but it sounds good :D The gels are great for during the run when you need immediate energy. Try to plan on times that you are going to eat them so that you eat it before you actually feel like you need to. That way you will keep your energy up without ever getting that drained, hungry feeling.

BTW...if you don't want to have to buy the expensive gels I've heard a lot of people use the little packets of honey you can find at restaraunts :P During my half I filled my pocket with gummy bears and candy corn to eat and they were handing out jolly ranchers on the course :D

very intereting info. thanx for that.taz. :P

tarnalberry Community Regular

they'll probably supply you will stuff during the race, but if not, if you haven't tried clif shot blocks, I like them for long hikes. good little burst of carbs. :)

good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
KerriAnne Rookie

When's your marathon? Maybe it was last weekend? Anyhow, if you haven't raced yet (or even if you have) here are my suggestions after doing several marathons, triathlons & other races since being on the gluten-free diet...

Usually race-day anxiety gets the best of me, so I find it very hard to eat too much prerace without upsetting my stomach. What I have found works best is eating solid, balanced meals especially the day(s) before the race. Be sure you are getting plenty of carbs & protein, and of course plenty of fluids in these preceding days. It's very important to try to stick with stuff you know you can tolerate... now is not the time to try new foods. My favorites are brown rice, bananas, peanut butter, Gatorade, applesauce, and chicken. My best prerace foods are smoothies (favorite recipe: skim milk, vanilla yogurt, banana, & peanut butter...yum!), and fruit (banana, apple or orange). I really don't eat too much before the race making it perhaps even more important to keep fueling throughout the race. I do well with GU and Gatorade. Also, postrace be sure to get protein & carbs into you within 30 minutes to 1h after the race to help recovery. Of course, be sure to keep replenishing fluids for the rest of the day, and even into the following few days. Lastly keep moving after the race... you may want to collapse, but you'll feel a lot better if you walk for a while immediately after, later in the day, and also the next day. Go for a walk or bike ride to keep your legs moving.

As I said, sometimes race-day anxiety ruins even the best laid plans, so be sure to stick with foods you trust. You want to enjoy the race. Remember there will always be other races, so if things have been particularly tough for you lately, don't overdo it out there. Do what you can, and when you are healthier, you can tackle another event.

Best of luck to you! Be sure to let us know how it goes!!!

• 1 month later...
super-sally888 Contributor

Hi,

Just new here. But an idea.... you could use rice noodles. I was looking around today when considering lunch and thought Thai would be good. They should be fine? Just so long as they/you cook your noodles in fresh water to avoid cross-contamination.

Vermicelli, Bihon, Rice Noodles, Thai Noodles....

Another good carb would be bananas. Am in Phils. Over here they fry bananas... maybe a bit high in fat, but delicious and gives plenty of energy.

Best wishes,

Sally

When's your marathon? Maybe it was last weekend? Anyhow, if you haven't raced yet (or even if you have) here are my suggestions after doing several marathons, triathlons & other races since being on the gluten-free diet...

Usually race-day anxiety gets the best of me, so I find it very hard to eat too much prerace without upsetting my stomach. What I have found works best is eating solid, balanced meals especially the day(s) before the race. Be sure you are getting plenty of carbs & protein, and of course plenty of fluids in these preceding days. It's very important to try to stick with stuff you know you can tolerate... now is not the time to try new foods. My favorites are brown rice, bananas, peanut butter, Gatorade, applesauce, and chicken. My best prerace foods are smoothies (favorite recipe: skim milk, vanilla yogurt, banana, & peanut butter...yum!), and fruit (banana, apple or orange). I really don't eat too much before the race making it perhaps even more important to keep fueling throughout the race. I do well with GU and Gatorade. Also, postrace be sure to get protein & carbs into you within 30 minutes to 1h after the race to help recovery. Of course, be sure to keep replenishing fluids for the rest of the day, and even into the following few days. Lastly keep moving after the race... you may want to collapse, but you'll feel a lot better if you walk for a while immediately after, later in the day, and also the next day. Go for a walk or bike ride to keep your legs moving.

As I said, sometimes race-day anxiety ruins even the best laid plans, so be sure to stick with foods you trust. You want to enjoy the race. Remember there will always be other races, so if things have been particularly tough for you lately, don't overdo it out there. Do what you can, and when you are healthier, you can tackle another event.

Best of luck to you! Be sure to let us know how it goes!!!

Archived