Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jayhawkmom

Surgical Medications?

I'm having surgery tomorrow, and I just started wondering if I should be concerned about the medications I'll receive in the hospital. I will be under anesthesia for the procedure. I can't imagine that there would be gluten in any of the medications they might use. But, then again.... I can't see reason why gluten has to be in so much of the stuff it is in anyhow.

So, what do you think?? I'm assuming that I should tell my surgeon (an ENT) that I'm gluten intolerant. Will that be enough??

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would definately mention it. Who knows what all they use gluten in. I wouldn't think it would be in the anasthesia though. My hubby got nauseous after his anasthesia last week. He's not gluten intolerant though.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

If you have allergies to soy and/or eggs - mention this to your anesthesiologist. Mention you are celiac - the surgeon does the surgery - the anesthesiologist will be administering the drugs

from a post by RKB ( an anesthesiologist) :

Next: For those with Egg and Soy allergies. Let your anesthesiologist know. Reason is that one of the main drugs we use is called Propofol (fabulous for endoscopy sedation). It is a drug that is used for sedation procedures, but also is used to induce a state of anesthesia for total anesthesia. Propofol is delivered in a lecithin and soybean oil suspension. There are substitutes, we just need to know.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry186971

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

GGGRRRRRR. That's probably what made my husband so sick. I don't remember if I told them about him being soy intolerant, but I thought I did. Of course, they poked through his vein and had to back the needle out so that could have been it also.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

yes, if they used propofol -and he is allergic or sensitive to soy - then that could ahve made him nauseous. But keep in mind, nausea following anesthesia is not uncommon.

Happens to pets too, my sister laughed the first time I told her that (not sure why) and asked if the animals spoke to me and told me they felt sick ...... :blink: ........you can tell if they are nauseous by head position and excessive drooling/swallowing.

Always let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know of any food allergies /intolerances....

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Thank you!

My surgery was yesterday morning. I'm not intolerant to soy or eggs, so I guess that's good! I am allergic to shellfish, and they had a band on my wrist indicating that, since they said something about iodine and seafood. I wasn't paying much attention, I was a little too nervous.

The surgery went off without a hitch, tonsils and adenoids are GONE!!! =)

I didn't get sick at all yesterday. Matter of fact, I feel really good - other thna the fact that I can't stay awake longer than 10-30 minutes, and my throat hurts like hell.

However, I appear to be allergic to Oxycodone and they have to change my RX. I itch So badly that I feel like I'm ripping my skin off my body, scalp, and face!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Everyone I know say that day 4 is the worst.... so we'll see. Right now...the Sandman has bags on my eyes!!

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3