This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nerves And Celiacs

Montana Julie

Montana Julie Newbie

Hi, All-

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac-positive person (June this year). Overall, I've been doing great! Since I've figured things out, I've felt 100% better and have never deliberately cheated (a couple accidents along the learning curve, but I'm getting there!)

However, I have noticed that my symptoms sometimes really flare up and I can't tell why: accidental glutening or nervousness?

This has happened twice: once right before a big Taekwondo tournament (yes, I compete at that) and then today, right before a big job interview (I really want this job).

I thought I may have accidentally glutened myself because I ate out on my travels to the tournament. But, for this interview, I've been eating at home for the last 3-4 days. I cannot IMAGINE how I've glutened myself.

So, for you veterans - is it the nervousness about the interview? Do nerves/nervousness result in symptom flare-ups? If so - how can I prevent this in the future? (I have 2 more TKD tournaments soon, and I really don't want to battle the big D if I can help it!!)

Help?

Thank you!

Montana Julie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You know, it might not be connected to celiac disease. Lots of people get diarrhea when they are stressed or nervous. Or it might just be, that your intestines aren't healed well enough to handle stress. It is very possible (even likely) that you didn't gluten yourself at all. Not ALL gastro symptoms are caused by celiac disease!

Try not to worry about it, do your very utmost to be gluten-free, that's all you can do.

Kaycee Collaborator

Julie,

I am not sure, but a couple of times I am sure stress has played a part. I have searched to see where I might have been glutened, but was at a loss.

Once about three months ago, was the night before flying out to see my parents, and I had horrendous stomach pains and D, worse than what it had been lately, especially after being glutened. That stressed me out, and then the next day, while waiting for planes and buses, I was constantly going to the loo, just in case.

The second time, was a couple of weeks ago, just before I was to go to a tupperware party. I was stressing a bit about not realy wanting to go and the food that might be there etc, etc and the fact that I had not even been out to a tupperware party, let alone anywhere else for months. So right on queue, 20 minutes before pick up time, another dose of D, just a one off that time, and I was fine. But it did leave me to wonder whether it was stress.

I know years ago, a long time before diagnosis with coeliac, when sitting my license with a driving test, I was a bit stressed as you get, but the minute I got home, my stomach collapsed on me, and I was in the toilet with D. I have always said that under stress, it goes straight to my stomach, and I think it is still true.

Catherine

annacsmom Apprentice

My daughter is a newly diagnosed freshman at college and interestingly, stomach issues and D were not among her myriad of symptoms. But during this first month there, she has had more D than in her life. I know it isn't gluten because she pretty much buys her own food and is extremely careful about what she eats on campus. Anyway, after ruling out different supplements, etc. I honestly feel that stress is a huge factor in her D. I have carefully told her I feel this is the case, but I don't want her getting stressed out over being stressed - if that makes sense!

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have suffered with gluten intolerance basically my whole life but didn't know what was wrong until a year ago. I always had aggravated symptoms during times of stress -- but I'm talking about big, lasting stresses. I would get to the point where I couldn't get out of bed. So, I definately see a correlation between stress and symptoms for myself.

AmandaD Community Regular

Montana Julie - I'm not sure if this will help at all but I basically asked my doc the question you asked about 6 months ago...she explained that the stomach sort of has like a little "nervous system" in it that can react to stress, it's even affected by hormones, she said...so I think when you do have stresses it can definitely affect your stomach....

AmandaD

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I am going to add this because I think it relates, but maybe not? I had a bat get into my house last night, I was so scared and finally my son in law came over 2 hours after it got in. By the time he got it out I had worked myself up into such fear that my stomach just went, all the celiac symptoms and I knew I had not eaten anything bad. SO yes I think stress can add to it. :(:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Montana Julie Newbie

Thanks, everyone! I surely appreciate all the positive feedback and information that I get from this forum.

Yes, I'm feeling better now... I think it's the prolonged stress thing, though. I anticipate some events and can just feel jerks and twists in my stomach when I think about them. I hate to think about what kind of endorphins/chemicals/hormones my body may be releasing!!!

I blame my master's degree for giving me this stuff... I used to be so well adjusted! :)

So - to keep the thread going - anyone have any good ways to alleviate stress so I don't get all messed up? Sounds like this is a problem with several of you guys too!

BTW - I just learned that an old friend is a celiac's too... kind of fun to have someone nearby to go out to eat with and share recipes! I told her about this forum.

Thanks again,

MT Julie

lin Newbie
My daughter is a newly diagnosed freshman at college and interestingly, stomach issues and D were not among her myriad of symptoms. But during this first month there, she has had more D than in her life. I know it isn't gluten because she pretty much buys her own food and is extremely careful about what she eats on campus. Anyway, after ruling out different supplements, etc. I honestly feel that stress is a huge factor in her D. I have carefully told her I feel this is the case, but I don't want her getting stressed out over being stressed - if that makes sense!

It is very interesting to read this because I too, did not have any intestional symptoms but after diagnosis and changing my diet have had many intestional symptoms. I have been very, very careful about my diet and know that it is not what I am eating. My doctor has no idea. I joked that maybe it was withdrawal. It has been a year and a half now and I am still bothered with D.

Archived