Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mellie

General Malabsorbtion Questions

So I'm reading all about people losing hair and teeth and gum issues and skin issues and all kinda of stuff I had never thought about. And I'm wondering too....I haven't had hair loss (then again my hair used to be SOOO thick that if I've lost some maybe I just didn't notice?) but I have noticed a change in my hair these last few/couple years. It used to be soft and shiny and healthy and it's not anymore. No matter what I do or don't do to it as far as washing and styling and all that. It's not shiny...it's very dull....and more wirey feeling -not soft.

I just saw skin issues brought up here but didn't read about it- will have to look into that more too. I don't have many skin problems- and when I was younger I had NONE but these last few years I've dealt with breakouts and stuff...but that could be a lot of things and might not even be the type of problems associated with the gluten stuff.

Then there's the weight stuff....I've never been a bean pole but when I was toward the end of college I really started putting on weight and have been ever since. I can't seem to lose. or this last year or two- even gain. Although I have gained a few pounds recently. :( I've tried the cruves diet, atkins diet and Weight watchers...all for at least a month each. When I did the curves diet I was also working out a few days each week at curves. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. No differences. Except maybe very minute.

And then I have major bathroom problems....pooh. :( bleh. So I've thought it sounded like a malnutrition/malabsorbtion problem....and it's all starting to make more sense...

But my one big question is.....now I'm wondering what OTHER things could be the culprit? If it's not the gluten stuff....I don't even know where else to begin looking.

anyway- guess I'm just rambling and venting. Don't mind me. ;)

Mel, 28 and Husband 29

Being 'tested' for gluten intolerance with gluten-free diet

Mom also has numerous problems with this type stuff-

they think she has crohns and she's being tested.

DRs think I may also have adrenal fatigue

Been treated for moderate/severe depression for last few years

Diagnosed this year with Sleep apnea (I sleep with a cpap every night).

Married 5+ years

Primary Infertility (severe male factor) "ttc" for 3+ years

Never been preg and only 2% chance of natural conception

Looking into international adoption

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

they've tested 'my thyroid' several times and it always comes back normal. ??

Mel, 28 and Husband 29

Being 'tested' for gluten intolerance with gluten-free diet

Mom also has numerous problems with this type stuff-

they think she has crohns and she's being tested.

DRs think I may also have adrenal fatigue

Been treated for moderate/severe depression for last few years

Diagnosed this year with Sleep apnea (I sleep with a cpap every night).

Married 5+ years

Primary Infertility (severe male factor) "ttc" for 3+ years

Never been preg and only 2% chance of natural conception

Looking into international adoption

Mellie,

I just wanted to recommend a great book that helps explain potential links between Celiac and "other stuff". It is Dr. Peter Green's (a leading Celiac researcher and physican at Columbia University) "Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic" ... it was really helpful for me to put a lot of the pieces together. You can get it off amazon and some people have found it at local bookstores (Borders, B&N, etc). My mom just started reading it, and she is just amazed by it all.

Hope this might help,

Laura