Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Especially to other parents with diabetic/celiac children I would like to ask.....My daughter loves the Dannon light and fit yogurt that has three carbs per serving and it is concidered a healthy choice and a great noninsulin snack,however, it does have that statement something like, "produced in a factory that also uses wheat." Now I know that many debate about how we should support manufactors that do not make cover your _ _ _ legal statements on their products, but in this case I am wondering how likely crosscontamination truly is and whether it is worth the risk. Also, I am wondering if anyone has had a reaction from it as my daughter is not symptomatic. Thank you in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My son is also asymptomatic. (He is not diabetic.) We use Yoplait yogurt. I do buy things that are made in a facility with wheat, but never buy the may contain traces products. I am pretty confident that with the litigious nature of certain consumers that the companies are cleaning the lines pretty thoroughly.

I hope that Sandy (2Kids4Me) will be along soon. Her son is both diabetic and celiac. She'll probably have more info for you.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

It's a tough call. I don't avoid all products that say "manufacturers in a facility that processes wheat", but I try to be smart about it. I keep an eye on various boards to see what those, who are more reactive than I am, say - though I don't throw out the product if one person reacts (I look for numbers, in case it was a mistake). I look into whether it's a shared line (higher risk) or just a shared facility/buiding (lower risk). I think about what type of food it is (sticky is higher risk, liquid may be lower since it's easier to clean). And I think about what the other things the company produces are, realizing that if the contamination risk comes from other minor ingredients, then the risks are really small, but if it comes from major ingredients in major products, the risks are larger.

So, yeah... basic risk analysis. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA