Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jennyj

Need Some Advice

I have been very sick since Saturday. I wasn't glutened, I think it is just a severe case of the stomach flu. I had a fever (103.9), muscle pain, D, lethargy, and stomach pain. Today I can finally get up and around. I have not eaten anything in 2 days but have managed to drink some. I have a dr. appt. already scheduled for tomorrow so I just need to know what to do until then. I am kind of afraid to eat anything and I am not really hungry. Any advice???

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can you eat fruit? Last time I had a bout with stomach flu I stuck to eating lots of water-bearing fruit - like watermelon, grapes, cantalope - and drank distilled water and a little pure fruit juice; make sure that you stay hydrated. I wouldn't try to eat anything heavier than that right now...

I hope you feel better soon, and that your appointment goes well tomorrow...let us know how you're doing, okay?

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

Plain rice and baked chicken. Very gentle on your tummy.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Unfortunately, with a virus, there's not much you or a doctor can do until it passes.

The most important thing right now is to make sure you're well hydrated. Sip something often--whatever feels best to you. Try some gluten-free broth, banana and some rice or mashed potatoes.

I find that when I'm sick, if I can get myself to try a little something, I'm actually more comfortable with something in my stomach.

Get as much rest as you can, and really, drink as much as you can (don't gulp, sip ;) ).

Hope you feel better soon :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Thank you for all the advice. I like rice, thank goodness, and bananas. I have just been sipping some flavored water. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Guest nini

just make sure to keep yourself hydrated, don't worry so much about "eating"... as long as you keep hydrated, you'll be fine, when you start to get hungry, just take it easy on your tummy with bland foods for a while.

Can't salmonella cause those symptoms too. I know it causes stomach pain, D and muscle aches, but I am not sure about fever. It doesn't sound very fun at all and I am sorry you are so sick. I would stick to plain foods. Applesauce is a good one or children's pedialyte pops or drink. You could also go to an urgent care facility if you really feel bad.

Monica