Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grantschoep

Simple Mid-western Type Meal Family Loves

I'm eating it now, I take my left overs for lunch. Its a great basic meal, not hard to prepare either. Get's me back down to the roots of eating.

Amounts should be multiplied for those eating, but its a good basic gluten-free meal.

Meal:

Baked Chicken peices, skinned(breasts, legs, etc, etc)

Canned Peas, Corn, Beans, Carrots

Baked Potato

The only "fancy" thing I do, is use Kraft's Shake and Bake BBQ chicken mix.

Bake the potato(s) and chicken in the oven for about 60 minutes(the on box recipe says less, but they are wrong)

Make the chicken in a lid container, like a pyrex bowl with a (oven safe of course)lid.

Following the above's given recipe is great, I make double what I will eat for lunch the next day.

Some extra tips, these applly to gluten-free and not.

Brine:

Soak The chicken in a salt+suger solution for about an hour.

Remove chicken

Rinse well

Dry meat with paper towels

Then... apply the seasonings(in this case Shake and Bake)

Heat:

The typical cookbook heat level/time to cook for chicken is always under estimated. If your baking the chicken, I recommend 400 deg F, and 60 minutes minimum. If its extract fatty more time. The heat/time will help it be less greasy and fall off the bone easily.

Related to the above heat:

Use a covered container, like a Pyrex bowl with glass lid. It prevents it from drying out.

Seasing raw meat:

After you brine the meat, take care to let what ever season you put on it(Shake and Bake in my case here) to sit on the raw meat for a good 10 minutes or so. Don't just throw it in the hot oven.

So thats my meat and potato advice.

"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm eating it now, I take my left overs for lunch. Its a great basic meal, not hard to prepare either. Get's me back down to the roots of eating.

Amounts should be multiplied for those eating, but its a good basic gluten-free meal.

Meal:

Baked Chicken peices, skinned(breasts, legs, etc, etc)

Canned Peas, Corn, Beans, Carrots

Baked Potato

The only "fancy" thing I do, is use Kraft's Shake and Bake BBQ chicken mix.

Bake the potato(s) and chicken in the oven for about 60 minutes(the on box recipe says less, but they are wrong)

Make the chicken in a lid container, like a pyrex bowl with a (oven safe of course)lid.

Following the above's given recipe is great, I make double what I will eat for lunch the next day.

Some extra tips, these applly to gluten-free and not.

Brine:

Soak The chicken in a salt+suger solution for about an hour.

Remove chicken

Rinse well

Dry meat with paper towels

Then... apply the seasonings(in this case Shake and Bake)

Heat:

The typical cookbook heat level/time to cook for chicken is always under estimated. If your baking the chicken, I recommend 400 deg F, and 60 minutes minimum. If its extract fatty more time. The heat/time will help it be less greasy and fall off the bone easily.

Related to the above heat:

Use a covered container, like a Pyrex bowl with glass lid. It prevents it from drying out.

Seasing raw meat:

After you brine the meat, take care to let what ever season you put on it(Shake and Bake in my case here) to sit on the raw meat for a good 10 minutes or so. Don't just throw it in the hot oven.

So thats my meat and potato advice.

Thank you for your recipe, it sounds really great. I might try it this weekend :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Screeeeeecchhhh....!!!!!!

Did you just say there is a gluten-free Shake and Bake?

No WAY!!

:o

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

In Canada there are two Shake n Bakes that are gluten-free, but they are glazes, not bread crumbs/crispy type stuff. The BBQ glaze and Teriyaki glaze are gluten-free. I was surprised about the teriyaki, but it's true. Let me rephrase that: was true. I bought several packages a couple of months ago, and haven't been shopping for more, so I don't know what the current labels say.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.