This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Thyroid Question

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

I've been on thyroid meds for over 10 years. I found out that I was hypothyroid at the same time I was told that I was "allergic" to wheat, dairy, eggs and soy. I started out on Armour, cut out all those foods and more and started feeling better. Eliminating the foods took care of most of my physical problems (arthritis, horrible psoriasis), and I know that the Armour helped my energy level.

For a few years I had to keep adjusting my dose and experimented with Synthroid and Levoxyl, but came back to Armour. I don't like that it's made from pork, but it's the only one that really works for me. I still feel more tired than I'd like, even though my naturopath has done a complete thyroid blood panel more than once in the past couple of years. I investigated Wilson's Temperature Syndrome, but the doctor that I went to was very strange and I just couldn't trust her, so I didn't end up trying the T3 therapy.

I'm not horribly fatigued or anything, but I still just don't feel right. I hesitate to up my dosage, since I'm afraid that I'll just have to up it again in a few years and hate being on medication to start with. I really, REALLY dislike being dependant on a pill for anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things to jump-start my thyroid? I've tried kelp, a natural thyroid support formula and eliminating cruciferous vegetables.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

A couple of possibilities come to mind. First is that lots of autoimmune diseases go hand in hand with fatigue. Second is that, unless I get some pretty good exercise every other day or so (vigorous) I start to feel sluggish. I just figured that one out! And lastly, a lot of my persistant hypothyroid symptoms seemed to be due to eating foods I was sensitive to. Wheat and dairy mainly.

I don't have a thyroid gland, totally dependent on exogenous thyroid for survival. I tried armour but I'm too sensitive to the T3 in it (too much for me). I think that I do best on synthetics and make sure my diet is good and I get exercise.

Good luck to you!

georgie Enthusiast

Liz, How much Armour are you taking and how are your temps ? Have you been tested for adrenal fatigue. That goes hand in hand with Hypo. Kelp is very mild and Lugols Iodine is a better source or Iodine tablets called Iodoral. Some folks get amazing recovery when they add that. The yahoo Iodine group has all that info. Has B12 been checked - as that can happen with Thyroid and autoimmune diseases. My guess is that you may need more Armour but not until you check your adrenal function. If you have adrenal fatigue and don't treat it - the Armour doesn't work and get into your cells like it should. I take 4 grains of Armour and needed 25 mg cortisone to get it to work. Now am about to wean off the cortsione. I couln't have got to 4 grains without HC. I was getting heart palps which I knew was an adrenal symptom everytime I tried to raise above 2 grains. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com has all the info and also some adrenal checks that seem to work. Saliva testing is the best way to check adrenals. Temps - also check adrenal and Thyroid. If you don't understand low dose cortisone therapy please read 'Safe Uses of Cortisol' by Jeffries MD or trust in what STTM says.

lonewolf Collaborator
A couple of possibilities come to mind. First is that lots of autoimmune diseases go hand in hand with fatigue. Second is that, unless I get some pretty good exercise every other day or so (vigorous) I start to feel sluggish. I just figured that one out! And lastly, a lot of my persistant hypothyroid symptoms seemed to be due to eating foods I was sensitive to. Wheat and dairy mainly.

I get plenty of exercise. I'm a PE teacher (half-time) and I have a dog that needs walking daily. I already avoid dairy, eggs and soy in addition to gluten. And I limit all the cruciferous vegetables, which can depress thyroid function.

Liz, How much Armour are you taking and how are your temps ? Have you been tested for adrenal fatigue.

Has B12 been checked - as that can happen with Thyroid and autoimmune diseases. My guess is that you may need more Armour but not until you check your adrenal function. If you have adrenal fatigue and don't treat it - the Armour doesn't work and get into your cells like it should. I take 4 grains of Armour and needed 25 mg cortisone to get it to work.

I take 90mg, don't know how many grains that is. I've been on the same dose for several years. I just came from the doctor's office and my temp. was 97.4. I have not been tested for adrenal fatigue, but my naturopath has given me supplements in the past to support my adrenals.

I was on B-12 shots for a while, but my levels went back up and now I take sub-lingual once a week. Just the word cortisone makes me nervous. I was on prednisone for 9 months a few years ago and it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life.

Thanks for your response. I think I'll go back to my naturopath and ask about the iodine and some testing for adrenal fatigue. It actually makes sense, but I don't have time to take it easy!

georgie Enthusiast

90 mg of Armour is WAYYYYYY underdosing you. Your temps are still low. You need a proper Armour dose. 90mg = 1 1/2 grains. I take 4 grains or 240 mg to give you an idea. The pdf on the Armour web site states higher so print that off for your Dr to read. wwwarmourthyroid.com

Pred is the worst type of cortisone. What is needed to treat Adrenal Fatigie is a small dose that replaces the bit of cortisol that your own body is not producing. Its not replacement but a supplement. Please read the book. Its hard to get people aware if they have a mind set. Jeffries is a Prof and he has documented 1000s of patient hours on this and the book is a medical text book - not a loony book at all :lol: Not saying you will need it but lots of Hypo folks do. Saliva testing from www.canaryclub.com holds the answer. You need 4 samples through the day to get best results of what your adrenals are producing.

Do a web search for Iodoral. 50 mg is what most seem to say is good.One again there is a 24 hour urine test and symptoms are important.

How low was your B12? Its not that easy to fix. If it was low you needed reg shots to boost until symptoms went away. After a shot the blood test is inaccurate as it reflects serum level only and not what is getting into cells. I had 14 weeks of weekly shots and now have them every 2 weeks. I also take sublinguals every day and take 2 x 3000mcg of methylcobalamin which is the best type as it is more bio available.My B12 was 148 and I have severe pins and needles in my feet which went away after the first shot. But after 4 days - the feeling would return so I knew I needed another. If you don't treat low B12 you can end up with nerve damage.

Most people that take Armour need 180 mg - 360mg. As you can see you are way lower than that. If your temps are still low - you need MORE.

lonewolf Collaborator

georgie - thanks for all the information. I'll be making an appointment with the naturopath as soon as I get off here. I've been on 90 mg. for several years, like I said, and my doc. has never suggested raising it since my bloodwork always comes back looking good. My temp. has always been in the 97 range and I always have cold hands.

I never saw my B-12 test results. I was on weekly shots for several months, then twice a month for a few more months and then went to sub-lingual. This was several years ago. I haven't had any reason to think I need the shots again, but I'll ask her about that too.

I know that my naturopath does the saliva testing. I think it's time to get that looked at.

georgie Enthusiast

Liz, Try to read Stop The Thyroid Madness as it really applies to you. You poor thing. That Dr has left you ill when it is so simple to medicate Armour. You are at the right dose when your pm temp is 98.6. Our Dr knows all this and treats us this way - so speak to your Dr about it. Our Dr lets our Free T3 ( the test that shows how much active T is circulating ) go 2.0 OVER the top of normal. Labs don't mean a lot. Symptoms and temps are more important.Your Armour dose is a starting dose and should have been increased a week or 2 later.With Armour you keep titrating the dose until symptoms disappear. Everyone needs a diff dose. Once you find the dose that works for YOU - you stay there.

Sounds like you had a serious B12 deficiency and perhaps Pernicious Anaemia - an autoimmune disease. Its common for autoimmune disorders to happen together. I have PA, Hashis Thyroid and GI ( probably celiac).I would suggest you think about having monthly B12 forever. If you have PA ( blood tested but it is 50% accurate only ) you have ahigher risk of stomach cancer and probably should have endoscopies every 2 years. I haven't yet but thought I would let you know so you can work that one out. And HEAPS more sublinguals.Now that you have let the shots lapse for a while you may need a loading dose again of weekly.

All this is going to make you fatigued !

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived