This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This A Gluten Reaction?

Toetoe

Toetoe Newbie

Hello, I am new here. I have always suspected that I have a problem with wheat but never given it up as had MAJOR CRAVINGS for it. I could literally eat nothing but bread, and be happy - even though I feel dreadful afterwards. Sleepy, irritable, bloated. I alsn have really bad flatulence, nausea, bloating aches and pains, frequent and loose stools etc. I also have autoimmune thyroid issues for which I am taking Armour Thyroid. The Armour is helping me loads and as I get better, the digestive symptoms have become more apparent. I have realised that the bloating etc is much worse after eating whole grains, than refined flour products, and recently read that the gluten content is higher in whole grains. This is when I started to wonder whether it was gluten and not wheat that was causing the problem.

I am also nearly 90 pounds overweight, which has steadily been going on since the start of my thyroid problems and continued after i had radio active iodine treatment which left me severely hypothyroid. I cannot shift this weight whatever I do. I finally deceided that enough is enough and that I would give the gluten free diet a go. I started a week ago and was doing well. I was dreading giving up bread etc, but it actually hasn't been too bad at all. I think I have made the switch in my mind, which I couldn't manage to do before.

Anyway, on Friday night I was up all night with terrible stomach cramps, bloating, nausea, very loose stools etc. Didn't get any sleep - not pleasant at all. Yesterday I realised that the corn chips I ate on Friday evening actually contaned wheatflour. My question is would my body have cleared the gluten so quickly to cause such a bad reaction upon the re-introduction of the gluten? I am not sure whether it is this, or whether I just ate something dodgy, unrelated to the gluten? The reaction was far worse than any I have experienced before.

I definitely want to continue with gluten-free. Already I notice that my cravings are less and that I don't seem to be thinking much about food at all - which is unlike me! Also do you think this might help with weight loss?

Sorry for such a long post - and thanks for any advice!

Victoria

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gadgetgirl Newbie

Welcome!

I also noticed my reactions are much stronger now that I've been gluten, dairy, soy, yeast free since October. Others have commented that once you remove all the background noise from the constant immune system challenges, that new ones will be much more noticable. I found that out again last week when I had some hazelnuts - within 2 hours I knew that I had yet another thing to add to my list of foods to avoid. It took about 24 hours before I started to feel okay again.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Hi Victoria, and welcome to this board. All of your symptoms sound pretty typical of celiac disease, and yes, the reaction you got to the chips is not unusual. It confirms that you're doing the right thing by giving up gluten. Also, knowing that now you definitely notice a reaction to gluten, and get pretty sick will help you to be diligent about being gluten-free.

In addition to making sure you stay away from gluten in food (and don't forget the tricky ones, like soy sauce, and barley malt), you will need to check all of your personal care products, like shampoo, conditioner, lipstick, toothpaste, soap, lotion etc. for things like wheat germ oil, barley extract or oat bran, and replace the ones that contain gluten with gluten-free ones.

Also, make sure you buy yourself a new toaster if you plan on eating gluten-free bread, and get a new colander for your gluten-free pasta. Just watch that you don't replace your gluten containing junk food with gluten-free junk food, as it's even more fattening. Also, if you want to lose weight, you need to limit your consumption of gluten-free bread, pasta, cookies, chips etc. and make them just occasional treats.

Your best bet for getting well and losing weight is, to stick with naturally gluten-free foods, like meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds etc. It's also easier to avoid being glutened that way, especially at the beginning while you're still learning. It takes quite a while before you get the hang of what is gluten-free and what is not.

Toetoe Newbie

Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies! I am going to keep at it. And try to eat healthily. I went to the supermarket today and saw some gluten free foods, but to be honest they didn't really appeal. I think i would rather go without than eat a poor version of my favourites! I did come away with a gluten free pizza base - so my keep that for a treat sometime.

I am now trying to decide whether to bother asking my GP for a test - as this will mean going back on the gluten and feeling unwell. What do you think - should I start eating again and do as soon as possible? I have only be gluten free for a week so how long would I need to be back on it in order to avoid a false neghative blood test???

Thanks again...

Ursa Major Collaborator

One week isn't enough to get a lot of healing done, so I think eating gluten for a month would be enough. But do you REALLY want to do that, and get really sick again, just to confirm something you already know? It wasn't worth it to me. But of course, it's your choice.

Toetoe Newbie

Hi Ursula,

Thanks again for your message. I think the only reason that I would want a diagnosis is so that people around me don't think I am just being faddy and exaggerating the symptoms. I spent so long being ill before finally getting a thyroid diagnosis with people and doctors suggesting I was just depressed, it was all in my head and there really wasn't anything wrong with me. I really don't want that reaction again - it make you seriously doubt your mental health. Having said that, a month back on the gluten before doing a test (have i got that right - is that what you suggest?) seems like a major task - and not one I am not sure I can cope with.

Thanks,

Victoria

Ursa Major Collaborator

Victoria, you could do the test from Open Original Shared Link, you won't have to go back to eating gluten for that. If you can afford it, that would be the way to go. I wished I'd have the money, I'd do it right away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Toetoe Newbie

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for the info - but too much for my pocket too! I have managed to get an appoitnment with my GP later this morning. I am going to see if he will let me have the blood test and if so eat gluten today and have the test tomorrow in the hope that the anti-bodies (if I have any) will still be in my system. Only gluten-free in part since last Mondy as actually ate Gluten on Friday - Maybe it will still show up. If it doesn't, I will take no notice and carry on with Gluten free anyway.

I'll keep you posted! Thanks,

Victoria

Archived