Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heidi Kelly

Morning Sickness Worse....doc Is Suggesting Otc Meds

My doctor is now recommending to first try Dramamine and if that does not work, to take Unisom with a B-6 vitamin. I have researched on figure out if the meds are same, but I just get the typical, "we dont add gluten but...." stuff. Has anyone tried this combination...is it safe? Does it work?

I am sure glad I know what I am going to be blessed with at the end of all of this!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My doc had me take a half a Unisom with a B6 ... all it did was made me sleep through the sickness ... The Unisom made me very sleepy. The B6 itself might be a good thing to supplement, if you're getting other B vitamins as well. They work together, so you need to be sure the rest are there to support the B6.

I don't know the gluten-free status of Unisom, I wasn't gluten-free at the time.

Be sure you're getting plenty of fluids and electolytes ... either Gatorade or a homemade version (1 tsp. salt, 7 tsp. sugar in 1 quart of water). It helped me more than anything.

The good news is, at about 3 months, you should start feeling better.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Oh, my doc told me that the Unisom and B6 used to be a drug they prescribed for morning sickness, but it isn't made anymore. That made me suspicious about its safety ... but my doc was convinced it was. I do not know the history of why it was taken off the market, but I'm sure you could Google it.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Look for "Sea Bands"...they are not a drug at all but a wristband you wear that puts pressure on a certain spot. Sometimes they are called motion sickness bands. I used them with ALL my pregnancies. It was the only way I could get the MS to subside enough to make me eat something. They are GREAT, drug free and non-invasive at all! :D