Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Izak's Mom

Help! Starch!

I fed my son some rice for dinner, and I added a bit of the Price Chopper Central Market Classic brand vegetable korma sauce thinking it was OK...then stupid me looked at the label AFTER he'd had a few bites and it lists 'modified tapioca starch' near the bottom. So now I'm feeling like a total idiot, but I just farted around on the internet for a bit and came across something that said that "modified corn starch" and "modified tapioca starch" are OK, but "modified food starch" is not. Is this true????

DS1&only(so far!): born 7/12/05 * chronic diarrhea from age 5 mos. * WF/gluten-free from age 9 mos. * NO MORE LOOSE POOP!

10/19/2006 Tested positive for DQ2 Heterodimer (HLA DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and negative for HLA DQ8. Have followup appt. with ped. GI in December!

Update: Told GI I was unwilling to do serum tests (give him gluten). GI said if what I was doing works, then keep on keepin' on! Happy, healthy & nearly two now! Occasional rash & loose poop from drinking bathwater, so switching to all gluten-free beauty/personal products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Modified corn starch and modified tapioca starch are fine.

Modified food starch is fine as long as the allergen statement does not say "wheat". The new allergen labeling laws certainly have made food starch easier for us!!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Izak's Mom,

Its ok, we all have our moments --- don't worry!

And to re-iterate what Carla said, modified corn/tapioca starch are safe. Modified food starch *used* to be a problem because companies weren't required to list its source. Now, they aren't fully required to label it, unless it is one of the 8 main allergens, one of which is wheat. So, if it is wheat, it will probably say "Modified food starch-wheat" or "Modified wheat starch". At the bottom, under the ingredients, it will say, "CONTAINS: WHEAT" This is part of the 2006 FDA Food Labeling Law, which was effective Jan 1, 2006.

Hope this helps clarify,

Laura

I just want to add that the food listing regulations are for the US. I am not up on the regulations in the other countries that frequent this site.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien