Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GF ME

Open A Bakery In My Town?

Hi everyone. I am kind of a newbie to this site. I was diagnosed w/ Celiacs back in 7/2006 and I haven't felt better. I have always loved to cook/bake, but being gluten-free has been tough for me. I was visiting a gluten-free bakery in the city and purchasing their breads, waffles, cakes for special occasions, baking flour, cookies, etc....but I am sick of spending $100 every trip and not having hardly anything to show for it. $11 for 12 biscotti...That's ridiculous.

Anyway, I am seriously thinking about opening a bakery in Southern New Jersey. My cookies and cakes are delicious and I am sure with some more experimentation I could make anything (and make it delicious). One problem is that I am using a gluten-free baking flour from this bakery, so I would need to develop my own.

I would cater to Wheat, gluten, dairy allergies as well as vegans.

My question to you is... Is there enough of a market for this in the South Jersey area? What are some items that you would love to see sold in a bakery that are hard to get/make.

Thanks!

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hm, i'd love it if there were a gluten-free bakery near me! I have also thought about the business idea. I suppose it's worth a shot...:)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

depending on where in southern jersey you are, I'm not sure that there is enough of a market to sustain a gluten-free bakery business... not that I'm an expert or really qualified to gauge this... either way, I know a number of areas of southern jersey aren't that populated in comparison to central and northern jersey though I think they've been getting more people due to more affordable housing.. I live in central jersey and work right about where central and southern jersey meet (the brick/toms river/lakewood area).. if your area (or the area where you are considering opening the business) is as populated as the brick/lakewood area, then forget about what I said above.. or you can just forget about everything I said as I really have no clue about businesses and demand for them

on the other hand, since you are also going to offer dairy free foods as well as vegan foods, I think you could gain enough business depending on how you market it... and if your products taste good, people will probably buy them from word-of-mouth even if they don't care about what's in (or isn't in) the food... matter of fact, the more I think about it, as long as you are in an area where you wouldn't really be in competition with local bakeries, you could probably succeed regardless of the gluten-free angle simply with reasonable prices and good food.. I know gluten-free typically means more expensive though but I don't know how significant the price difference would be and how it would affect non-gluten-free customers

as for what to make, a couple bakery items I used to like that I figure would be hard to find gluten and dairy free would be things like cheesecake, a canoli... I haven't really looked for these foods though as I can't really eat anything with sugar right now anyway... which brings up another variable to consider.. a lot of celiacs/gluten intolerant people (moreso for newly diagnosed but also for those who have been for years) have to regulate their food intake for a variety of reasons in addition to gluten: other food allergies/intolerances, leaky gut, candida, blood sugar issues, etc... of course, there are also plenty of celiacs who can eat anything they want outside of gluten.. I just think based on all the above, you would need to have a signficant percentage of your customer base from non-gluten-free people but that is probably achieveable..

if I can square away my intolerances and whatnot, you'll have one customer whenever I go down to AC

- Charlie

- gluten free since January, 2006

- multiple food intolerances temporarily from leaky gut and candida

- positive test for lyme disease - April, 2007

It may be worth it to do some research and build a business case. But may I suggest you start out small? Maybe offering specialty baked items/catering from home? Such as cakes, squares or cookies for various events? You'd still likely have to get a license, but this way you could build up a loyal clientelle that could eventually support a full-fledged bakery business.

Michelle

I've been doing this out of my home - I would start out that way, personally - it is a lot cheaper.

Gluten-free, Vegan