Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My daughter (30months) was just diagnosed with celiac. I am trying to get all the information out there foodwise. She is a terrible eater anyway and is eating virtually nothing right now. But I noticed today that her PLAYDOH is labled containing wheat, does anyone know if this means she can no longer play with it? She never puts in her mouth, but since it will be on her hands?????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would recommend getting a gluten-free play-dough or making some at home. There is a chance she could put her hands in her mouth or eat something with her hands after touching the play-dough.

Gluten-Free Play Dough

Ingredients:

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

I made playdough for a pre-school class using a recipie very similar to the one Carriefaith shared and it turned out well(mine was with wheat flour, otherwise the same). I made a new batch every 2 months or so and changed the color according to the season. It keeps very well if you seal it up. If you find that it is a little sticky, add a little less water the next time(leave out a 1/4 cup). Mine needed to be kneaded a little after cooking, while it is still warm. It was a little sticky at first but became nice and smooth after kneading. It was very similar to the real deal in terms of consistancy.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Crayola also makes a modeling clay that she can use - that's what I send to my son's daycare in his art supply box. It feels different than Play-Doh - lighter, I guess you could say. But it works well.

yeah if your child is really sensitive ...the places where the play doh touches will itch or break out,.... like people who cant use wheat in soaps or shampoos... or in tolietry products,, it causes problems.... if they dont eat it.... it can still get under the finger nails.... and cause irritation....

dump it....... be safe than mad at your self......

We also got rid of Playdoh and got Colorations wheat free/gluten free dough from discount school supplies. It is a nice dough and smells nice too. Kind of expensive, but we think worth it.

Hope this helps... :D

Dallas

Mom to:

Riley 8 -Tourettes, OCD, ADHD

Cooper 6 -Celiac dx'ed Dec. 2005

Jake 4- Resolved Verbal Apraxia, Coordination disorder and Sensory Integration Disorder

Sutton 3- Speech issues and sensory integration disorder

My daughter (30months) was just diagnosed with celiac. I am trying to get all the information out there foodwise. She is a terrible eater anyway and is eating virtually nothing right now. But I noticed today that her PLAYDOH is labled containing wheat, does anyone know if this means she can no longer play with it? She never puts in her mouth, but since it will be on her hands?????

i've ordered gluten-free playdoh from here and its great;

http://magickhand.googlepages.com/