Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Real Fried Chicken Recipe!

After our trip to Disney I was determined to make "real" fried chicken. I definitely accomplished it!!! This is even better than the fried chicken that was made for me at MGM studios. It's the real deal.

INGREDIENTS

* 1-1/2 cups rice flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt

* 1/4 teaspoon paprika

* 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

* 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder

* 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper

* 1 egg

* 2 cups buttermilk

* 1/2 cup barbeque sauce

* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

* 1 package of chicken breasts cut into strips OR 1/2 a whole chicken broken into pieces

* 2 cups oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large shallow dish, mix together flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. In a separate bowl, beat egg, then whisk in buttermilk, barbeque sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.

2. Dredge chicken in milk mixture, then in seasoned flour, alternating in each at least twice. Heat oil in a large, deep-sided skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

3. Cook chicken in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes each side.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

INGREDIENTS

* 1-1/2 cups rice flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt

* 1/4 teaspoon paprika

* 1 egg

* 2 cups buttermilk

* 1/2 cup barbeque sauce

* 1 package of chicken breasts cut into strips OR 1/2 a whole chicken broken into pieces

* 2 cups oil for frying

Angie,

Interesting ingredients. I've never heard of using barbeque sauce & Worcestershire sauce in fried chicken. My favorite BC chicken, Popeye's, uses some kind of hot sauce, so I'm sure yours is pretty good. Plus it's got buttermilk. Buttermilk is good, buttermilk is our friend.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

This sounds very good. I am going to try it this weekend. I have not had breaded chicken, besides chicken nuggets since going gluten free. I am excited.!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

You're going to love these! They're really good with honey for dipping. Even Tori, who's really picky, devoured her four pieces. Don said they taste just like real fried chicken. I thought they were reminiscent of KFC in terms of texture. This is definitely the best breaded chicken I've tried since going gluten free.

~Angie~

Question: would this work in a deep fryer or is that too much oil? If not, how much (depth) oil do you put in a frypan?

Thanks

I imagine they would work fine in a deep fryer. Let me know how it turns out.

~Angie~

Angie!!!

This is SOOOOOOOOO good. I agree with you that the seasoning is very KFC-ish. My husband thinks so too. I had to use a flour mix rather than just the rice flour, so I can't speak for texture.

This is amazing. I'm going to go eat more now.

:D

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Nancy, I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed it as much as we did!!! I think I'm going to have to make some again tomorrow. I've lost 1/2 a pound this month, so I think it's time to start bulking up. I can't possibly eat any more or any healthier than I'm already eating! This baby must be really hungry! :) Maybe some good old fashioned fat will do him good.

~Angie~

After our trip to Disney I was determined to make "real" fried chicken. I definitely accomplished it!!! This is even better than the fried chicken that was made for me at MGM studios. It's the real deal.

INGREDIENTS

* 1-1/2 cups rice flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons salt

* 1/4 teaspoon paprika

* 1 egg

* 2 cups buttermilk

* 1/2 cup barbeque sauce

* 2 cups oil for frying

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large shallow dish, mix together flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. In a separate bowl, beat egg, then whisk in buttermilk, barbeque sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.

2. Dredge chicken in milk mixture, then in seasoned flour, alternating in each at least twice. Heat oil in a large, deep-sided skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

3. Cook chicken in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes each side.

Wow! Thank you for sharing this recipe...it sounds so yummy, I am definitely drooling in anticipation of having REAL fried chicken!!

Melie

Diagnosed by Enterolab 6/06

Gluten free since 4/06

Autoimmune Thyroiditis since 1997

Pernicious Anemia

I didn't have buttermilk (kept forgetting to buy it) so I used a buttermilk substitute that I read about -- You use milk and for every cup of milk, add a teaspoon of lemon juice. It worked fine, although I'm sure real buttermilk works better.

I'm also happy to report that it tastes good cold out of the refrigerator too. I'm SO making coleslaw the next time I make this... :D

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I wanted to add that this is even great a few days later. Just stick it under the broiler for a few minutes on the second shelf down and it gets nice and crispy. Yum!!! And I thought I'd never have fried chicken again... :)

You know, Nancy, I'm really not sure what the point of the buttermilk is. I can't imagine that it adds much flavor with the richness in flavor that the seasoning adds. Perhaps plain milk would taste the exact same as buttermilk even with doctoring. I think I'll try that next time. I had an issue with getting my buttermilk powder to dissolve so I think mine was mostly just plain milk anyway with big chunks of buttermilk powder floating around in it. It looked gross, but man did that chicken taste great!!!

~Angie~

We loved it here! The fried chicken was the best! So crunchy! I couldnt believe it! Colin ate it up, he ate two whole tender pieces! Not to mention about 3 of Carriefaiths bread sticks... what a nice dinner we had.. a Valentine treat!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville