Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Karen

Thyroid (hypothyroidism)

I was in to see my family physician last week for her to check my thyroid because when she checked it in November, it was a bit high...... I just called the dr's office for the results because I have run out of thyroid meds and needed to renew and needed to know if she was going to put me on a different strength. The receptionist said that the doctor had seen it and signed it off as okay and that my TSH level was 3.15

I have no clue if what that is..... Does it sound like it is a good range?

Thanks!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was in to see my family physician last week for her to check my thyroid because when she checked it in November, it was a bit high...... I just called the dr's office for the results because I have run out of thyroid meds and needed to renew and needed to know if she was going to put me on a different strength. The receptionist said that the doctor had seen it and signed it off as okay and that my TSH level was 3.15

I have no clue if what that is..... Does it sound like it is a good range?

Thanks!

Karen

My doc wants it between 1 and 2. I also have bipolar disorder and hypothyroidism can complicate it. When I am above 2, I get terrible mood swings. I was in the psych hospital when my TSH reached 4. How do you feel?

"Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway!"

I think that above 2.0 is suspect and that you should have further testing. Free T4, Free T3, and anitibodies. Check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com Go to recommended labwork

My Dr likes mine kept as near to 0 as possible as I have autoimmune Thyroid - Hashimotos- and you need the TSH suppressed to suppress the Antibodies attacking your Thyroid. My TSH at the moment is 0.01. Doesn't your Dr test anything else but TSH ? Thats a bit naughty. Tests for Thyroid should be Free T4, Free T3 ( to check the T level in your blood ) , and if you have autoimmune Thyroid, Antibodies ( to see if they are totally suppressed.)

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

For people being treated for hypothyroid, the target TSH is at the lower end of the range. I have read that women, to feel good, should have their TSH less than 2.0.

For me, my target (and to feel ok) is less than 1.0. But they also check FT3 and FT4 - which should both be at the top of the normal range. Did your doctor test anything other than TSH?

I don't think you should accept 3.15 as acceptable. Particularly without having the FT3 and FT4 monitored and found to be in the proper range.

Hope you feel better.

Sally

Additional circumstances could cause your doctor to have differing targets for your case but according to WebMD, the normal range is 0.4

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

I wish you luck in finding a dr. who will treat you based on the new guidelines. My little 4 year old has suffered for years and has a TSH of 3.62 and a Free T4 of 0.6 and they all want to "wait and see what happens in a few months."

Keep us posted if you find a good doctor!!