Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JerryK

Why Did I Pay For A Gene Test?

I found it very useful to know the genes we have. My daughter and I both have DQ2 and DQ7 (when I was first tested they were still calling it DQ3, subset 7, but have since started calling it DQ7 just like DQ8 is actually DQ3 subset 8, yet they call it DQ8...), andmy oldest boy has 2 copies of DQ7, my younger boy has DQ1 & DQ7. So by default my husband, who didn't get tested, has DQ1 & DQ7 as well.

My daughter and I are the only ones who have the Celiac gene DQ2 and we are also the only ones in our family who get the DH rash.

My boys still have serious issues with gluten no matter whether they have the Celiac genes or the gluten intolerance genes.

But we do know that my husband has the possibility of getting sick from gluten, and that is helpful.

Also we know that the kids have a high chance of passing at least a gluten intolerance gene to their kids, and that will help them in the future to be able to care for their kids better.

To me the interesting part is which genes you have. DQ1 genes are associated with the brain issues, DQ2/8 the intestinal symptoms. It is just interesting but overall not all that valuable.

Hmm is this documented anywhere? Are there articles out there that discuss which genes are associated with which symptoms? Did this info come from Enterolab? Thanks, J