Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoveBeingATwin

Getting Allergy Tested?

Well I decided to call my doctor and see if I could get blood work done so they can test for food allergys. I am not sure that I want to spend a long time trying to eliminate certain foods until I figure out what is making me sick. I am now eliminating dairy, but I am still having really bad symptoms. I notice a lot of people mention an allergy to dairy, soy and corn so I am wanting to definitely get tested for those. Has anyone done this instead of going by trial and error? I know its not the gluten because I have been 100% gluten free. I read and call about everything and I don't eat out. I am hoping my doctor will order this test so I can find out what is making me sick. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks for listening.

~KIMBERLY~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Food allergies are kind of "hit and miss" with regards to testing. I've been tested a few times (for different reasons) and I always still end up on an elimination diet of some sort, to try and weed out the "truth" from the random false positives and false negatives.

Just a few months ago I had a rather severe reaction to shrimp. I mentioned it to my allergist who decided to do a blood test. It came back absolutely negative. And, yet.... I reacted.

My daughter, who has an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts, consistently tests negative to peanut allergy, both by RAST testing and skin testing. Yet... she miserably failed an oral food challenge, after one BITE of a reeses cup.

So, I'm not trying to discourage you... I just want you to be prepared for the possible necessity of an elimination diet anyhow. As food allergy testing is about as accurate as celiac testing. Which, isn't saying a whole lot.

Lots of luck to you.

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

I eliminated the major allergens for a while. Ends up it's just gluten that I'm intolerant to and my symptoms were coming from my Lyme Disease.

I'd recommend trying to eliminate the major allergens and see if you get better. Sometimes, even if it's "just" a gluten problem, people feel better on a simpler diet (meat, veggies, fruit, brown rice) until they heal a little.

Keep looking. It's not normal to feel bad ... I always thought it was!! :blink:

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Food allergies are kind of "hit and miss" with regards to testing. I've been tested a few times (for different reasons) and I always still end up on an elimination diet of some sort, to try and weed out the "truth" from the random false positives and false negatives.

Just a few months ago I had a rather severe reaction to shrimp. I mentioned it to my allergist who decided to do a blood test. It came back absolutely negative. And, yet.... I reacted.

I ate shrimp and had a minor reaction (aka D). I realized that the shrimp had been farm raised in Thailand and most likely had been fed soy (which I react to). Even though I cleaned the shrimp thoroughly, I must have left traces behind. They could be feeding the shrimp any number of things that you might be allergic to.

I have since had organic wild caught shrimp and had no reaction. It's amazing how stuff might be hidden in your diet. Just a fyi.

I ate shrimp and had a minor reaction (aka D). I realized that the shrimp had been farm raised in Thailand and most likely had been fed soy (which I react to). Even though I cleaned the shrimp thoroughly, I must have left traces behind. They could be feeding the shrimp any number of things that you might be allergic to.

I have since had organic wild caught shrimp and had no reaction. It's amazing how stuff might be hidden in your diet. Just a fyi.

Normally, the feed wouldn't stay in the same form as it became the meat so wouldn't cause a reaction ... however, with shrimp, you have the "vein", which isn't meat at all, so this is a very interesting observation you bring up!!

Sadly, I'm allergic to shellfish ... :(

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06