Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecdrevelation

Conventional Cold Meds & Antibiotics

I am having a difficult time determining what is safe in terms of gluten-free meds. I am allergic to penicillin so am curious if anyone knows about Keflex pill form or Z-pack (Zithromax). Whenever I ask the pharmacist I get the typical "deer in the headlights" look everytime.

Also, what is safe in terms of kids cold meds???

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wow, sorry about your pharmacist. Do you have a small locally owned pharmacy around? Usually the owner is also the pharmacist, so they are pretty willing to help.

I found this website and it lists Zithromax as being gluten-free. It also has cold medicines listed. http://www.geocities.com/gluten_Rx/gluten.html I don't think it's a complete list because I take Omnicef and I know it's gluten-free (my pharmacist called to check), but it's not on the list.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

The Z-pack is all my doctor will give me as she confirmed it's gluten free.

As far as kids' medicines... I know that Little Noses is gluten free (for toddlers) and Little Coughs and the new Chloraseptic strips. I called on all of those a few months ago. Children's Tylenol meltaways grape flavor are also gluten free last time I checked. My daughter takes them with no gluten issues.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Thanks for the info. This is the only area that I seem to have trouble with. Would a compunding pharmacy be of help to me? We live in a metro city with a CVS or Walgreens practically on every corner.

It seems that a lot of meds are on this list, though several I take aren't. If a medicine is naturally gluten-free, I don't think you'd need a compounding pharmacy. You can always ask here if you can't find out the information.

We have a Walgreen's on every corner, too. They are building a new one and my 13 year old daughter said, "Do we really need another Walgreen's?" Fortunately, there is a local pharmacy right around the corner from my house, on the same block.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AshokPrajapat
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts