Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

simplicity66

Coconut Milk

This may seem like a odd question but being lactouse intolerant i havent been able to find the answer anywhere....is there lactouse in coconut milk???........and which one is better for you????... high in the good stuff but low in calorie content??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is no lactose in coconut milk. That is unless it gets added, in which case it not only defeats the point, but would be specified on the label. Besides that it isn't likely legal to call it coconut milk if such ingredients had been added.

Don't be fooled about the caloric content, or the fat content of coconut milk (or coconut oil). The primary fatty acid is lauric acid, which is a Medium Chain Fatty Acid. This type of fat gets metabolized in a totally different way than all other types of fat. It actually promotes weight loss, but has numerous other health benefits which you may be even more interested in.

Simply Google for lauric acid, MCFAs, or coconut oil, and you'll see why it's the favorite for many people including myself. The oil is also more stable at high temperatures than most other edible oils, so it's great for cooking and baking too.

There are also some threads on the board about coconut oil which you may find helpful.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thanks for your help riceguy...i googled both and was pleased with the out come....i think i should have been using the oil and mlik awhile ago....today is start day..i am buying both and putting it in my diet....thanks again you were truely helpful..... :)

Hi,

for the coconut oil, make sure you get the virgin stuff. This gets cloudy/solid at lower temperatures. It also has a coconut flavour. Fabulous for making pancakes, banana fritters, etc (gluten free, of course :) )

bleached deoderised is also available, is much cheaper, but won't have the health benefits.

S

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

for the coconut oil, make sure you get the virgin stuff.

When I researched the oil, I found only two or so brands that have a truly top quality product. The oil is extracted by centrifuge. The one I tried was indeed fabulous, though sadly beyond my budget. So instead I use organic shredded coconut, which tastes great in everything I've put it in.

Here's a link to a post I made on this subject, in which I give a Google search link to places where you can get samples of the centrifuged oil.

There is a lot of deceptive marketing with these products, such as the use of terms like "extra virgin". That is borrowed from the olive oil industry, and simply doesn't apply to coconut oil at all.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

:rolleyes: Well i guess my shopping went better then i thought...after reading your last post riceguy ...i purchased some coconut oil the brand is "Heartland Organic Functional Foods Gold".....certified organic non-GMO ???? not sure what that is..it is expeller pressed without any addtional chemicals additives or perservatives containing 45-50 % lauric acid....cant wait to try it...thanks again...

:rolleyes: Well i guess my shopping went better then i thought...after reading your last post riceguy ...i purchased some coconut oil the brand is "Heartland Organic Functional Foods Gold".....certified organic non-GMO ???? not sure what that is..it is expeller pressed without any addtional chemicals additives or perservatives containing 45-50 % lauric acid....cant wait to try it...thanks again...

OK. Hope you like it. I don't recall that brand showing up on my radar, so I can't comment on it. The non-GMO means no genetically modified organisms. I think most expeller pressed oils get subject to some heat, but not sure just how much. But the rest of the specs look fine. It should smell and taste like fresh coconut, and melt in the palm of your hand. It should also be pure white when solid, and clear as water when liquid.

I have been trying to give up dairy, and was wondering..have you used coconut milk for frothing for cappucino?

I miss it, and do not like the soy (it doesn't really froth well), and was wondering if this might perform well...

Can the coconut milk be used in all baking as well? Do you need to add or subtract it?

Just curious before I go out and buy a vat of it. ;)

And, I love the coconut oil too. That stuff rocks. I also use it as a lotion for my hands in the kitchen, no need to worry about gluten being in there. :lol:

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

Improved on gluten free diet

Enterolab results confirmed suspicions on Jan. 29th 2007

I have been trying to give up dairy, and was wondering..have you used coconut milk for frothing for cappucino?

I miss it, and do not like the soy (it doesn't really froth well), and was wondering if this might perform well...

I make lattes with hazelnut milk (Pacific brand); it froths quite nicely, and it makes a yummy latte!

Jeanne

I don't like coconut at all. :( Are celiacs less tolerant to coconut?

Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)

-high prolactin levels

-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")

-swollen ankles

-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)

-joint pain

-childhood arthritis

-all dairy allergy

-dry skin

-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)

-mother is allergic to wheat

-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people

-light coloured stool

-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes

-hemorrhoids

-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)

-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

By the way..I did have some coconut milk on hand, so in the name of science I decided to try frothing it for a cappucino.

And....?

It didn't work. <_<

Although now I have a great suggestion from jnclelland..thank you!!!

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

Improved on gluten free diet

Enterolab results confirmed suspicions on Jan. 29th 2007

By the way..I did have some coconut milk on hand, so in the name of science I decided to try frothing it for a cappucino.

And....?

It didn't work. <_<

Although now I have a great suggestion from jnclelland..thank you!!!

You're welcome! :) When I first started trying hazelnut milk, I would just microwave it and add espresso to it. That's okay - but then I got my own cappucino machine for Christmas, and I was so excited to see that it really would froth a bit! Not as much as real milk, but enough to feel like a real latte. I imagine that almond milk would work too, but the only brand I can use is Pacific (because of soy allergies), and I just find it a little too chalky in texture.

Let us know how you like it!

Jeanne