Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue-Skye

Enterolab Results - ?

I've read a lot of posts about EnteroLab results so I'd like some feed back too please ;)

Antigliadin IgA 9 (normal <10) OK

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 17 (normal <10) not OK

Fat <300 (normal <300) OK

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0301

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 7,6)

Anti-Casein OK

Egg OK

Yeast OK

Soy 23 (normal <10) not OK

I understand the soy "allergy" but the gluten is confusing to me. They have explained their interpretation but I'd like your opinion too.

They told me that this is an unusual test result but it does happen. They said the Soy sensitivity has probably been there longer than the gluten. They said we should consider him gluten reactive now and avoid both Soy and Gluten.

My concern is the "allergy" or sensitivity to gluten. That is the part I'm trying to figure out - is he reacting now or not? Or is he just susceptible to a possibility to it in the future?

We are currently doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (no grains, soy, sugar, almost milk free (he still gets butter and cheese) but need to know how strict we need to be about Gluten and Soy - 100% no matter what or just avoid it the best we can and realize that it is OK for a small bit here or there? In other words we would not ever purchase gluten containing items for the home but if he ate something away from home we will have lessened the consequences because of the avoidance 99.9 percent of the time? Since his fat score was Ok does that mean we have room to fudge now and then -

OR does the Antitissue result mean he is already extremely sensitive with a need to be 100% compliant with no infractions?

I know some people are super sensitive but he / we have no outward signs of sensitivity - but I don't want to get to that point if we already know to avoid it.

The reasons we had him tested:

* Family history of illness and allergies on Paternal side. Dad has IBS, Fibro, Kidney damage, recurrent kidney stones, depression, Hypogammaglobulinanemia (low IgG) with infusions, anaphylactic to peanuts and fish, multiple environmental allergies.

* Our son is severely Dyslexic / Dysgraphic, with ADHD type symptoms, and an extremely picky eater when he did not used to be. He also had a bad reaction to his 5 year immunizations.

We chose Enterolab because we have a huge deductible on his insurance so we would have had to pay anyway. And Enterolab gave us the ability to get it done because we wanted to without having to convince some nameless snotty doctor to agree to it.

Blue-Skye

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It looks like the soy intolerance may have caused your son to react to gluten (I believe that is what Enterolab is saying). So, for now he needs to completely avoid both (definitely 100%) for several months.

He should never eat soy again, but after about six months you may want to challenge the gluten, to see if he is okay with it. If he has a reaction, he'll need to keep avoiding it.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long has he been on the SCD? If he had been gluten free for a while it probably would have meant he would have been just positive before hand.

Soy seems to be more of a problem and can also cause intestinal damage.

As Ursa said, go soy and gluten free. Challenge gluten after 6 months or longer, if you'd like. Should give him time to heal and be feeling better before the challenge.

I have read that the DQ1's tend to be more prone to neurological manifestations from gluten. You would need to watch for behavior changes as well.

With the ttg, I'm not real sure about that but I assume if he has an elevated number that he would need to stay off gluten......please check with enterolab about what this means or maybe someone else with more knowledge will pipe up. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

We started the SCD after the Enterolab test - he was totally on gluten at the time.

Here is what Enterolab had to say by email:

Thank you for your correspondence. Though we do not often get results

wherein the antitissue is positive and the antigliadin is not, it can

happen. This simply means that the secondary reaction to gluten is

dominant over a primary reaction, but the only way to treat it is to

take gluten out of the diet since the tissue transglutaminase enzyme

would not be produced if gluten was not in the system in the first

place. It is possible that the longer Zachariah ingests gluten the

better chance that the antigliadin reaction would kick in as well

anyway. He has inherited two genes which predispose him to gluten

sensitivity, though neither of them are considered the main Celiac

genes. This does not mean that he could not eventually progress to

Celiac Disease if it was decided to keep gluten in his diet, but he has

a lesser chance of that happening. With these genes, however, he could

still manifest in the same types of symptoms seen in Celiacs or with

more systemic symptoms. You should consider him gluten sensitive now.

The soy sensitivity, due to the larger number, has probably been

manifesting longer than the gluten sensitivity. A larger number does not

always indicate a more severe problem. The soy sensitivity is caused by

an immunologic response to the soy protein. Leaky gut would not cause

the sensitivity itself, but it could certainly weaken the immune state

enough to allow a prediposed food sensitivity to be triggered. I hope

this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can be of further

assistance.

By Phone that same day: I asked if we healed his gut if we could then introduce soy and gluten back in and the said no - because we would just start the cycle over because once the sensitivity is triggered you are sensitive for life.

This was disappointing as I had thought we could heal his gut and then reintroduce soy and gluten in small quantities. Hope springs eternal ! ;) Not that I would ever go back to eating an awful over processed American diet again but to not have to worry about every bite when eating out would be nice.

He does not have any outward signs of sensitivity - so a challenge is hard for us - and I will not risk any gains we make with him neurologically - so I guess it's gluten and soy free.

We've already seen signs of improvement in his hand writing after only 9 weeks on the SCD diet - with a few infractions like rice and terriaki beef. (I know, soy and gluten - but he begs for terriaki beef)

Thanks everyone,

Blue-Skye