Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nikki-uk

Hypothyroid And High Triglycerides?

My husband has been seeing a haemotologist for low platelets (but that's another story!! :rolleyes: ) but at his appt this week the doc remarked that he has consistently had high triglycerides for some time now - although no other doc up to now had mentioned it.He's done another 'fasting lipid ' test.

Hubby has a good diet, rarely drinks and has no family history of heart disease :unsure:

I have suspected for quite a while that all is not right with hubby's thyroid.

He has many of the symptoms including :

Constantly feeling cold (when everyone else is warm)

Constantly feeling tired - in fact 'naps' the day away!

Dry brittle hair

Incredibly dry skin.

Severe depression

Am I right in thinking high triglycerides can be associated with an underactive thyroid???

Back when hubby was hospitilized for extreme weight loss some 2 yrs ago (and it was found to be celiac disease) he was having real problems swallowing and lost his voice, with it remaining 'husky' for many months.

The docs at the time told me all his thyroid tests came back normal and he also had a ct scan of his throat (which was normal)

Hubby has also suffered with severe depression - culminating with a spell in psychiatric unit.

At that time he seemed to swing from total inertia - to being totally manic and staying awake for days.

Could all these things be related? :unsure:

I'm just trying to piece together the puzzle as it were - but I must admit I am confused by the whole thyroid issue :rolleyes:

Any thoughts??

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My cholesterol has come down 0.9 to normal after a few months of Armour. Same story with my husband. I have heard that Armour was used to lower cholesterol in the 1950s - if you went to see a Dr and had high cholesterol they trialled Armour on you. Sounds like you need a good Dr to dx your husband. It sounds a lot like HypoThyroid to me.Have you read www.thyroiduk.org They may be able to help.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!