Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

punker18

Australia

Im going to Australia with a group called People to People Student Ambassadors this summer but im nervous about getting sick when im there. Does anyone have any tips of how to travel and be gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi - There are quite a few threads here about Austrailia and you'll find many Aussies on the board. I recently spent 21 weeks there and I was perfectly fine (I avoid gluten, dairy and soy). It was easy. Do some searches in the "gluten-free travel" and "outside of the usa" forums for "Australia." You'll find plenty of info. on restaurants, grocery stores etc. etc.

One of the great things about OZ is they have very strict labeling laws. If something does not clearly indicate gluten on the label, you can pretty much know it is safe to eat. Try to to carry your own food with you as much as possible. Here's my magical tip: Woolworths and Coles, the main grocery stores, sell inexpensive cooler bags. I'd recommend getting to a grocery store asap when you get to the country. Purchase a cooler bag and fill it up with food. While I was traveling I carried one with me everywhere I went and it was a lifesaver. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Guest Damo

There's also a designated section in Woolworths supermarkets with all the gluten-free versions of things like flour, pasta, cereals etc. with it all clearly marked 'gluten free'.

Where abouts in Aus are you going?

Where will you be going in Australia? If you tell us where you will be we can help you find places to go and eat out.

Otherwise it is easy to find gluten free food in Australia. Just go to any of the major supermarkets (eg. Coles or Safeway/Woolworths) and there is a health food section which sells gluten free foods such as pasta, cookies, cereals etc. There are also other health food stores that have a good range of products.

As Mango has mentioned the labelling laws here are very strict and if there is an allergy causing ingredient in a food such as wheat then it must be declared on the packaging.

Here is the previous thread of travelling in Australia that you might find interesting.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;hl=Australia

All our food is labelled - so any supermarket can provide gluten-free food. Its usually ina seperate section. As Mango said - take a cooler bag as our heat makes transporting food hard. Lots of gluten-free restaurants too.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeliac/dine.html

How long are you in Australia. We have an excellent online shop as well. www.glutenfreeshop.com.au

Hope you have a great trip !

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!