Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, quinoa (KEEN-wah) is gluten free, and thus flour made from it is also gluten free.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Couscous is made from wheat.

Cathy

even saying made from is a stretch.... it is wheat....

However back on the original subject I find it makes an excellent subsitute for couscous....

both in cooking hot and salads where you usually use cous-cous...

Funny thing is people either find it bland by itself or horrid..... its one of those weird foods ??

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

You're so right gfp couscous is wheat.

Back to topic, I enjoy quinoa made into a tabouleh type salad, or any salad for that matter.

You can use quinoa for breakfasts and desserts as well cooked and sweetened with fruit and yoghurt on top.

Cathy

I found a really yummy "fake instant oatmeal" made from quinoa. It comes plain, chocolate (which is fantastic) or apple raisin. I found it online at Altiplano Gold. I used to eat instant oatmeal almost every morning and really missed it -- the quinoa is a great substitute.

Enjoy!

Maureen :)

Maureen in Southern New Jersey

Diagnosed via bloodwork & biopsy in June 2005

Gluten free ever since!

You're so right gfp couscous is wheat.

Back to topic, I enjoy quinoa made into a tabouleh type salad, or any salad for that matter.

You can use quinoa for breakfasts and desserts as well cooked and sweetened with fruit and yoghurt on top.

Cathy

Hey I actually found this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cous-cous

In the United States couscous is known as a type of pasta, probably reflecting the influence of Sicilian immigrants. However in most other countries it is treated more like a grain in its own right.

Being a European that lived in North African and the middle east... I presumed that was the only definition BUT according to wikipedia...

The name is also used for prepared dishes made from other grains, such as barley, millet, sorghum, rice, or maize.

Either way though quinoa seems a really good alternative.... as you'd guess from my above statement i have considerable experience with 1001 different cous-cous' indeed everyones mom always makes the best.... so I was really suprised when I tried quinoa and found it really worked :D

So I learned something new as well :D

Couscous was traditionally made from the hard part of the hard wheat Triticum durum, the part of the grain that resisted the grinding of the relatively primitive millstone.
was what I thought....

Its like soy sauce.... WOW is that a complex subject.... I considered myself a soy sauce expert of sorts until I found out just how many thousands of distinct types there are.... just check wikipedia if your interested but beware its a long long read!

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

We love quinoa around here. Added it to our diet about 2 months ago. If you rinse it before cooking it takes that weird bitter taste from it. Even my kids like it! :D

Yep...couscous is just pasta....wonder if we could convince Tinkyada to make brown rice couscous?

Thanks everybody, the quinoa was in a pasta, we had it last night, i was suprised how tasty it was...nice to have pasta again :P

Diagnosed via bloodwork Celiac April 2007

Intolerance to Dairy June 2007