Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweetfudge

Cooking With Lavender

i'm dying to make something w/ lavender as mine is just coming into bloom. i haven't attempted any recipes since going gluten-free. just wondered if anyone has tried any recipes that have turned out well. all recipes welcome, specifically looking for baked goods-tea cake, lemon cake, cookies, etc. Thanks!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest KG in FL
i'm dying to make something w/ lavender as mine is just coming into bloom. i haven't attempted any recipes since going gluten-free. just wondered if anyone has tried any recipes that have turned out well. all recipes welcome, specifically looking for baked goods-tea cake, lemon cake, cookies, etc. Thanks!

Don't know if this sounds good to you or not but I'll link you to it. I remembered Gluten Free Girl blog had something about lavender. It's a chocolate lavender tart her fiance made for Valentine's Day. It's from an herbal cookbook with gluten-free directions for the crust and all. It looks good. I haven't made it but if you do, let me know!

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2007/02...to-sharing.html

Kay

Don't know if this sounds good to you or not but I'll link you to it. I remembered Gluten Free Girl blog had something about lavender. It's a chocolate lavender tart her fiance made for Valentine's Day. It's from an herbal cookbook with gluten-free directions for the crust and all. It looks good. I haven't made it but if you do, let me know!

Kay

OMG this looks delicious! did you see the picture of the crust...it looked so REAL! i could almost taste it! Wow, i'm gonna have to try this!!! Printing right now!!!

Sweetfudge

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Guest KG in FL
OMG this looks delicious! did you see the picture of the crust...it looked so REAL! i could almost taste it! Wow, i'm gonna have to try this!!! Printing right now!!!

You are right! I didn't look at the crust closely- it looks "real"! I forgot this recipe was in the back of my mind until you mentioned lavender. But lately, I've been slowing down at all the fancy cooking chocolate when I am shopping. Just staring and reading all the labels.... didn't quite remember why. So I didn't buy it!! Brain fog?? YES! I believe our Fresh Market has the brand she mentions!

I'll keep watching for any other lavender recipes to pop up here. I love lavender too. A lot of my skin/bath supplies are lavender. My car freshener, linen spray, etc. They're not as good as the real thing though.

I am glad you reminded me what I was wanting! Thanks!

It's always great to make lavender sugar and then use that sugar when baking or sweetening tea. I've used lavender sugar for sugar cookies (as the sugar for the cookie then also sprinkling on top), lemon muffins, etc. To make lavender sugar, add a lot of dried lavender buds (make sure if you used any pesticides they're food safe and you harvest it when the manufacturer says it's OK) and let it sit in your sugar for at least a week, but I like it best after a month. When you use it, be sure to not use the lavender buds. You can just replenish sugar as you use it. You can use this same concept with vanilla beans, too, and make vanilla sugar.

It's always great to make lavender sugar and then use that sugar when baking or sweetening tea. I've used lavender sugar for sugar cookies (as the sugar for the cookie then also sprinkling on top), lemon muffins, etc. To make lavender sugar, add a lot of dried lavender buds (make sure if you used any pesticides they're food safe and you harvest it when the manufacturer says it's OK) and let it sit in your sugar for at least a week, but I like it best after a month. When you use it, be sure to not use the lavender buds. You can just replenish sugar as you use it. You can use this same concept with vanilla beans, too, and make vanilla sugar.

excellent idea. do you just sift out the buds or something? oooh, do you have a recipe for lemon muffins? i'd love a copy of that!

Sweetfudge

I modified a recipe I found on glutenfreegirl.com awhile back, which was a modification of another recipe, for blueberry muffins with lemon zest. I didn't go with the typical poppyseeds since I don't think they add much flavor, just texture. That "texture" is already in the muffins because of the sorghum flour. This was what I came up with and I thought they tasted great. I didn't use lemon juice since the extract and zest add more of a punch normally. I did think about adding maybe some mild flavored nuts, though, like chopped pecans or maybe sliced almonds. I think dried currants would be nice, too.

Lemon Muffins with Lavender

10 tablespoons unsalted, soft butter

1 cup white lavender sugar* (sift out the buds) plus 2 tbsp. for sprinkling on top (you could keep the buds in for sprinkling on top if you

oooh, those sound yummy! i tried that pie crust recipe btw, and it was fabulous. look for my post tomorrow about my strawberry-rhubarb pie. too tired to post it now. thx for sharing the recipes!!

Sweetfudge