Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Does This Make Sense?

Ok, we went out to eat two nights ago at Carraba's and I got soup and after I had eaten half the bowl I realized there was a noodle floating around in it. So, I KNOW I got glutened. I started feeling bloated about an hour or so later, almost like I was going to explode (I'm pregnant too). I got really tired and drunk-like feeling too, so I went straight to bed as soon as we got home. I slept for about 3 hours and when I woke up I felt fine. Usually for me a glutening lasts about a full day, so this was definitely atypical. Is it possible that glutenings are lessened if we go to sleep right away? If so, why would this be? I'm not sure exactly what happens to the immune system while sleeping. Anyway, just looking for some insight.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hi there, i have found that sometimes i can have a nasty reaction and other times not so much. being prego your body is working different to. thats what is weird about celiac i have come to realize, sometimes you can totally react terribly and other times not at all. hope this helps (probably not) ;)

Nadine

mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)

all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006

G.F. since Feb 2007

Soy free since April 2007

Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:

Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302

HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502

HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)

carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene

nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one

HI

I sometimes react this way to being glutened, espeially when im working and forget my food at home because I am rushed, I am forced to eat the Hostpital food, I will feel this way for a few hours very hard to stay awake I do feel drunk and slur my words maybe talk like im dislexic, then after a few hours im ok, well sort of. I can be loaded with caffine when i go home from work at 7am and i can go right to sleep without a problem. So this was another reason I always thought that I had a problem. Other co works would always talk about when they were off the next night that they would sleep and until 4 or 5 pm and stay awake all night long until maybe 4am not me I could be working and then go home to sleep from 9 am until 2pm thats 5 hours of sleep should be enough to stay awake until maybe 1am not me by 7pm I would start to fade and be very grumpy with my daughter and just want more sleep and more sleep could never get enough. So when I did started the diet I didn't have that much of a problem with staying awake. But I react differantly to everything not the same way everytime, that is what really bothers me.

Donna

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 21 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 13 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 12 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)

You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

I actually have to have a LOT of gluten to have a reaction, I'm not anywhere near as sensitive as most of the people here. Maybe your gut has healed a lot, or maybe it's working overtime because of the baby! (Congratulations, by the way!)

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

I am generally pretty sensitive, but my reactions are relatively mild. I got glutened once before with this pregnancy and it definitely was worse than the other day. I'm just wondering if my sleeping right away made it easier to deal with or not as bad as it should have been. I know there are a lot of other variables to take into consideration. It just seems odd to me that I felt fine after sleeping for a few hours.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

My personal opinion is that it wasn't the sleeping that shortened the symptoms but that sleepiness was one of the symptoms and that your total reaction was not as severe as before. So by the time you woke up the worst of the reaction had passed.

I've been almost a year gluten-free. When glutened, my symptoms are now quite mild and much shorter in duration (24-48 hrs vs. a week). I've read others' account of their reactions after a period of time being gluten-free and it seems that everyone is different. I'm very happy to be in the group whose symptoms are less severe.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

I, for some reason, dont get as bad with a mild glutening as a severe one. That is just me personally. I will not go and eat any gluten on my own mind you, but just a tiny bit in cc, doesnt always affect me too bad, maybe just one run to the bathroom and that is it.

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville