This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got Test Results Back For Myself And Both Sons

ami27

ami27 Apprentice

My 8 year old's results. It seems he just has the gene which would predispose him to gluten intolerance.

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 8 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 5 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 5 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0602

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,6)

My 11 year old's results. They are almost identical to mine. It seems we both have the gene which predisposes us to gluten sensitivity and celiac. Also IgA was elevated for both of us.

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 7 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 283 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 7 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0602

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

My results.

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 7 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 7 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

I'm not sure what to do with this information. I have been eating gluten free and corn free for months due to symptoms that I had which have cleared up. I plan to always eat this way. My boys show no symptoms. The only thing is they are very short. But, I'm short and their father wasn't exactly tall. I'm assuming I should put my 11 year old on a gluten-free diet as well. Probably would be safest for my youngest too. I would hate for them to have problems later on because of this. And maybe they'll actually grow a little taller as a bonus.

Ami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

If your older boy is willing to go on the diet I would highly encourage him. He may not notice gluten bothering him until he goes off of it. None of us had symptoms that we were aware of but do react to gluten if we get some now. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Since you and your son both have a celiac gene, you may have just caught it early. It's probably easier to get him to eat gluten-free now than when he's a teenager.

I wanted to point out that according to Dr. Fine, there is only ONE gene that is not a gluten intolerant gene. It's normally found in Asians -- DQ4. So, essentially everyone, except for Asians, has 2 gluten intolerant genes.

I think cutting down on gluten would be good for everyone on the planet. I just don't think it's that good for you and is hard to digest. However, I wouldn't make the child with negative results eat gluten free when away from home (I'm thinking birthday parties, etc.).

ami27 Apprentice

So does that mean that every non-Asian person has the tendency to become gluten intolerant according to Dr. Fine? And does this differ with others beliefs. I guess I need to do more research.

Ami

AndreaB Contributor
So does that mean that every non-Asian person has the tendency to become gluten intolerant according to Dr. Fine? And does this differ with others beliefs. I guess I need to do more research.

Ami

Yes, I believe that is basically what that means.

Almost everyone has the potential to become gluten intolerant but it doesn't mean they will. My husband has 2 celiac genes and tested negative through enterolab. He went gluten free with the rest of us since we learned how harmful gluten can be and he didn't want to wait and see if the celiac genes became triggered.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Ami

30% of the general public carry the celiac gene, but only 1% develop celiac disease.

I just don't think the genes mean all that much ... except they can show you that you are genetically susceptible to celiac disease.

What is more meaningful are the symptoms and the dietary response.

ami27 Apprentice

So in your opinion, since my oldest son has elevated antigliadin IgA antibodies and the gene that would predispose him to celiac, is that enough to warrant gluten free for life? From what I've learned over the past 6 months I think so. I would just like to hear what you all think too. I only tested them because I had such a positive response to the diet. I was testing myself and wanted to know about them too. My doctor did a blood test at my request even though she looked at me like I had just landed from Mars when I brought it up. It came back negative. So I hesitate to bring this up to his pediatrician, but that may be something I should do. I just got these results back today so I'm trying to figure out what to do now. Thanks for the support.

Ami

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

In my mind that means gluten free for life. He's already reacting to it. It may not be enough to show up in a blood test though. His ttg is still below the threshhold which is good, and I believe that is one of the things they test for. I'm not up on the bloodwork tests though.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I think it will be important to see what his dietary response is.

My daughter's Enterolab score was 14. She ate gluten-free for six months, then I had her do a challenge over Christmas break. Within four days she wanted to go back to eating gluten-free again.

I just didn't want to put 100% of my faith into a test that isn't widely accepted, so we used dietary response to confirm it.

I also eat gluten-free and tested at 60. My high number was likely due to also having Lyme Disease and an overactive immune system as a result. I test negative on the celiac tests and do not carry celiac genes.

Archived