Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kalistys

Remeron?

I've taken Ambien off and on for years to help me sleep, but my Dr. wants me to go on Remeron - I've been feeling anxious and having lots of trouble sleeping, even with Ambien. Has anyone had any luck with this drug for sleep? I'm a bit concerned that it'll work too well and I'll be tired all of the time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

IMHO, Remeron is evil in pill form! Yes it will make you sleep, at first anyway...first pill I took, I literally slept for 3 days. The sleepiness is a side effect that will eventually go away, so it really doesn't make sense (to me anyway) that your Dr. would want to prescribe it for sleep. It has other annoying side effects that don't seem to go away...like turning you into such a major grouch that you can't even stand yourself, or giving you insane munchies for the worst possible junkiest foods. And even if you convince yourself not to eat them, you will still pack on the pounds. :blink:

Ambien has never really worked well for me either, for anything other than very short-term use. My doc prescribed 30mg Restoril (temazepam) and I've been taking it for several months now and it still works great. I don't even need it every night anymore, just 2-3 times a week. It will definitely help with the anxiety - that's one of my major causes of insomnia.

~ Jenn

My husband tried this and it stirred up his restless leg syndrome (and his whole body shook while he was sleeping as well as his legs were "bicycling" while he was sleeping).

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I was lucky enough to get to try remeron once or twice...a few years back ;)

Nasty stuff. You bet you will sleep, but you will feel totally gorked out and disconnected when you wake up. Not trying to scare you, just telling you the reality of Remeron.

In my humble opinion, you'd be much better off with the much misaligned Benzodiazpine class of medications, like Valium, Xanax and Ativan. At least with them you will still feel somewhat like yourself the next day. Despite all the hype about addiction, these drugs are no more so addicting than anything else. Just ask anyone who's ever come off of Paxil, if they were dependent upon it...

Benzodiazepines have been around for 30+ years...tried and true...AND off patent protection now, which motivates drug companies to push their new more expensive solutions...

A lot of the new crap they are pushing...no one is really sure of the side effects. Just ask all the people that tried Zyprexa and got diabetes from it..or gained 50 lbs in two weeks.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong, and you will be lucky enough to think Remeron is wonderful...it WILL make you sleep...

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You