Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whattodo

Bread Without Yeast

You will probably be laughing at this moment. I am looking to make bread (i love bread) but the silly question is does it have to have yeast in it. I want to cut out yeast for candida sake and see if it helps.

Any thoughts?

Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I must admit all the the bread I've ever made has has yeast in it.

I'm not sure how your average gluten-free bread mix would fair minus the yeast ingredient :unsure: ...but there are some specifically yeast free ones out there (I've never seen these makes in any shops though - only online) here and here.

Happy baking :)

EDIT: Also found these recipes for soda bread which seem to be yeast free.

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

You will probably be laughing at this moment. I am looking to make bread (i love bread) but the silly question is does it have to have yeast in it. I want to cut out yeast for candida sake and see if it helps.

Any thoughts?

Breads by Anna has a yeast-free (and most other things-free) bread mix that's really good. You can order it at http://www.glutenevolution.com.

Jeanne

Any thoughts?

Soda bread sounds like a good suggestion - baking soda and an acid like buttermilk will be good to give it lightness. Try using flours like Teff, millet, or buckwheat. They aren't as grainy as rice and aren't as dense which is the way gluten-free bread tends to be without yeast.

For bread other than sandwich/toast bread you can try a carrot cake recipe using millet flour and a bit of teff. Or zucchini bread recipe. Those are basically sweet breads that you are going to use baking powder to help it rise. If you beat the egg whites a bit it will help as well.

Good luck - it takes a lot of experimenting, but making your own bread will taste a whole lot better than what you buy from somewhere else.

Mom to Nathan (5) and Joshua (6 months).

Nathan diagnosed Celiac through positive dietary response and bloodwork.

In search of the best gluten free recipes. I get discouraged, then pick up the measuring cup again and try some more.

Praying Nathan has a good year in Kindergarten!

Chebe bread is yeast free (www.chebe.com) and quite tasty. Search this website for recent discussions and recipe variations for chebe. You can obtain a variety of results by changing the type of cheese you use -- parmesan makes a good deli cheese roll, cream cheese makes a mild flavor roll somewhat like white bread.

One note -- Chebe is tapioca flour based and unlike rice flour, it can go gummy if you don't let it breathe after baking. I wrap mine in a tea towel or flour sack towel and let it sit for at least 12 hours before putting it in a ziploc.

Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003