Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

suebny

Son Got Glutened/ Didn't Get Sick /is This Normal

Hi -

My 10 year old has been gluten free since the beginning of the year. Yesterday my husband gave him a pita bread thinking it was a gluten free one - a move he feels extremely guilty about. The good news is that my son didn't get sick at all. Is it normal to be gluten free for 6 months and have gluten and not get a stomach ache or anything? I'm wondering whether we might be glutening him somehow without knowing it or whether we just got lucky yesterday. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

SueAnne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well sometimes it can take up to 3 days to feel the effects of being glutened. Plus the symptoms are not always gastro when glutened. Have you notived any changes in his behaviour, has he had any joint pain or anything not directly related to gastro problems. my step son does not get gastro affects when glutened, but he has terrible mood swings and joint pain, and sometimes the affects dont show up til days later. I for one, have symptoms within the hour of gastro problems and irritability and anxiety.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

we don't always have obvious symptoms when glutened... sometimes the symptoms are delayes, sometimes we may not have any at all... I just think of all the years I was eating gluten and I wasn't sick every single time... also with kids they do heal faster and if he's been gluten-free for 6 months, he may be healed enough that his immune system isn't on overdrive and isn't going to react every single time. But, every accidental glutening is still causing damage to occur to the villi, so just make sure from here on out he's 100% gluten-free. Hubby shouldn't beat himself up over it, but he does need to be more careful.