Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueeyedmanda

Anyone Ever Go To Sandals

We are trying to plan a place for our honeymoon. I am not a keen flyer, but if I can get some kind of nerve calming thing I could handle it. I was in an incident a few years back where my plane did not have a good landing, so I have been avoiding planes since long before 9/11. I am scared. :)

Anyway, we were thinking cruise, but due to the timing of our wedding, October, a lot of the cruises to places we would love to go are not operating due to Hurricane season. So, I was looking into Sandals as maybe an option. It is one of those all-inclusive resorts. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this resort, any location and can let me know what you thought. I am not even looking for the gluten free thing right now, I want to see more of what you guys did/didn't like and then figure out the whole gluten free thing.

I really want to lay on one of those pretty beds in the sand. So relaxing looking.

If you have any other good spots in the US which you enjoyed honeymooning at let me know too. I really would like to get to the Outer Banks too. I am a lighthouse girl.

Thanks Everyone!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My husband and I got married at Sandals in St Lucia (see my avatar picture!). It was great. It was before I was gluten-free, so I can't say how it would be to try to eat there. We had a great time, everyone was super friendly, they had live music every night out on the beach, and they did a fantastic job with our wedding. The only advice I would give is it is NOT worth it to pay extra for a "better" room. The first 5 days we were there before we got married we stayed in the cheapest room, then upgraded to a fancy room our wedding night and for the remainder of our stay - it wasn't worth the extra money. The room was exactly the same except we were on the top floor of the hotel instead of the ground floor, there was some liquor in our room in the upgraded room (it's all "free" anyway, you just have to walk to the bar to get it in the cheaper rooms), and in the better room you could have "hot" breakfast delivered (but hot breakfast was served in the restaurants anyway). So that's the only thing I wasn't happy with on our trip. It is spendy, but it was really nice for our honeymoon not to worry about paying for anything, eating and drinking all we wanted, and never having to worry about tipping anyone. And they have lots of fun water sports.

Have a great time where ever you plan on going! :D

Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine

my wife and i were in our friends wedding in montego bay and stayed at sandlas resort. we had a blast very friendly staff, always had something to do ,lots of activities.this was before gluten-free too , but i recommened staying there for the fun. we stayed at a different resort for our honeymoon in ocho rios and it wasnt as good as sandals. have fun if you go.......

diagnosed  Celiac in Feb 2007... having a real hard time commiting to the diet

we did 2.5 weeks on kauaii. oh yeah!!!

no resort, just bed and breakfasts. a little hiking, a lot of snorkeling, and just randomly walking around and taking it easy. I'd been told they 'operate on a different time scale', and man do they, and we quite enjoyed it. (all except getting sick on the catamaran ride out for a snorkelling trip. the helicopter ride to the center of the island was great, though.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

we did 2.5 weeks on kauaii. oh yeah!!!

no resort, just bed and breakfasts. a little hiking, a lot of snorkeling, and just randomly walking around and taking it easy. I'd been told they 'operate on a different time scale', and man do they, and we quite enjoyed it. (all except getting sick on the catamaran ride out for a snorkelling trip. the helicopter ride to the center of the island was great, though.)

My parents are trying to move to Kauai this fall for thier retirement! My mom loves that they are so relaxed! She loves to say "In hawaii you need 2 pairs of shoes, everyday flip flops and church flip flops, you can get them both for under 10 bucks!"

If anyone wants to do hawaii cheaper, I reccomend vbro.com to rent a house or a condo for a week or so. It's not a lush "resort" experince but you can cook your own meals and just not be bothered with tourism "spend, spend, spend" mindset.

I recently heard aruba is the place to get good deals, they are trying real hard to get american tourism back after that murder with the girl.

Also, remember to get your passport soon to be able to get out of the country!

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!