Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sneezydiva

Finally Got My Biopsy Results

Yup, after all this waiting, it turns out all he biopsied was my stomach inflammation. No ulcers and biopsy was negative for everything. But on the bright side, my meeting was with the P.A., not the doctor. He spent a lot of time with me. He wants to get my gallbladder checked out, even though the symptoms don't quite fit. I told him about my history of fatigue and my concerns about celiac disease, and he said that the doctor wasn't thinking along those lines, and hadn't gone into the small intestine. But my inflammation was at the bottom of the stomach close to the duodenum. He said it was definitely worth persuing and ordered the celiac panel, iron panel, and cbc along with the liver/gallbladder tests.

So tomorrow I will go get my blood drawn (can't do it today,I have to fast overnight). And after that I'm not sure what to do. Should I go ahead and try the diet, maybe just a few days or a week? I don't want to mess things up if they end up wanting another endoscopy to do a biopsy. But then part of me wonders, do I really need the biopsy, if the blood tests come back positive? I know I'm not a doctor, but in my gut (no pun intended) I just know celiac is the answer I've been searching for all these years.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yup, after all this waiting, it turns out all he biopsied was my stomach inflammation. No ulcers and biopsy was negative for everything. But on the bright side, my meeting was with the P.A., not the doctor. He spent a lot of time with me. He wants to get my gallbladder checked out, even though the symptoms don't quite fit. I told him about my history of fatigue and my concerns about celiac disease, and he said that the doctor wasn't thinking along those lines, and hadn't gone into the small intestine. But my inflammation was at the bottom of the stomach close to the duodenum. He said it was definitely worth persuing and ordered the celiac panel, iron panel, and cbc along with the liver/gallbladder tests.

So tomorrow I will go get my blood drawn (can't do it today,I have to fast overnight). And after that I'm not sure what to do. Should I go ahead and try the diet, maybe just a few days or a week? I don't want to mess things up if they end up wanting another endoscopy to do a biopsy. But then part of me wonders, do I really need the biopsy, if the blood tests come back positive? I know I'm not a doctor, but in my gut (no pun intended) I just know celiac is the answer I've been searching for all these years.

I didn't get the endoscopy, i felt blood tests were good enough for me. I still might have to go to a gastro to find out what else is wrong with me. If you think the blood work and dietary response is good enough to keep you on ther diet, go a head start it. If the idea of having to do a gluten challenge if required scares you.. stay on gluten.

The chances of a false negative on blood work and biopsies are quite high. It delayed my diagnosis by many painful years and resulted in some permanent neurological damage. The diet is the best test when it is done strictly. IMHO

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...
    I disagree with this statement.   Mental conditions are not "already there" in people with Celiac Disease.  Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause changes in ...
    I'm a firm believer that celiac disease only aggravates mental conditions that are already there. The withdrawals can possibly cause mood issues like someone coming down off of drugs, alcohol or tobacco but it's not the gluten per se. Generally...