This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mystery Diagnosis

cgilsing

cgilsing Enthusiast

They had a whole segment about celiac disease yesterday! The child was having seizures, not thriving, developmental problems, but no GI symptoms. The mom had celiac disease and ended up putting the pieces together herself (figures :rolleyes: ) Anyway, it was a really good show! They actually spent some time talking about it! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
They had a whole segment about celiac disease yesterday! The child was having seizures, not thriving, developmental problems, but no GI symptoms. The mom had celiac disease and ended up putting the pieces together herself (figures :rolleyes: ) Anyway, it was a really good show! They actually spent some time talking about it! :)

I have seen this episode before. I have to say it was scary watching him have those seziures.

marlene57 Newbie

I saw that episode and was shocked to find out about the neurological symptoms of Celiac. I just saw the dr a couple of weeks ago because I'm losing my balance, have trouble with short term memory, problems with my eyes, and say or type things that I'm not thinking (wrong words).

Now I'm waiting for an app. with a Neur. and will ask about Gluten Ataxia which I've seen mentioned here on the board.

Marlene

confused Community Regular
I saw that episode and was shocked to find out about the neurological symptoms of Celiac. I just saw the dr a couple of weeks ago because I'm losing my balance, have trouble with short term memory, problems with my eyes, and say or type things that I'm not thinking (wrong words).

Now I'm waiting for an app. with a Neur. and will ask about Gluten Ataxia which I've seen mentioned here on the board.

Marlene

Marlene,

I use to have that problem of typing in the wrong words, or have to sit and think is it coach or couch or things similiar to that. But my thinking has greatly approved. I still have typos from time to time, but i type so much better now. I would forget were i just put my keys but i would remember where a toy of the kids was.

After being gluten, casein and soy free i dont have any of that happen anymore. I have the gene that causes neuro problems from gluten. So i know how you feel.

How long have u been gluten free?

paula

rinne Apprentice

Marlene

I had problems like that, I was starting to walk as if I was drunk, blurry vision and memory problems. A B12 deficiency can do that, do you know what your levels are? B12 shots helped me alot, along with dietary changes, and those symptoms have gone away.

I think many of our symptoms are linked to nutritional deficiences but that by the time we get ill ordinary vitamins can be more of a problem to digest than a help.

Another thing I do which really helps me is salt, Himalayan salt -just a half teaspoon in a large glass of water each morning. It is loaded with essential minerals and good iodine. Ordinary table salt is stripped of all minerals and then the iodine, not a good iodine, is added back in, I avoid it.

I hope you are feeling better soon. :)

Archived