Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sprink

New Here And Need Some Help With Toothpaste

Hi There!

My 4 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with Celiac via blood tests and biopsy about 1 month ago. I have been "lurking" on this board since then and have gained so much knowledge from all of you. But now I am stuck and finally have to post...

can someone tell me what ingredient to look for in toothpaste to see if it is gluten-free??

what kids toothpastes are gluten-free?

Thanks in advance for your help, I am not sure where I would be if I hadn't of stumbled upon this board.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I believe most toothpastes are gluten free. But I know Crest is for sure. I don't know if Crest makes a kids toothpaste or not, though.

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005

Hi There!

My 4 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with Celiac via blood tests and biopsy about 1 month ago. I have been "lurking" on this board since then and have gained so much knowledge from all of you. But now I am stuck and finally have to post...

can someone tell me what ingredient to look for in toothpaste to see if it is gluten-free??

what kids toothpastes are gluten-free?

Thanks in advance for your help, I am not sure where I would be if I hadn't of stumbled upon this board.

:)

I am using crest also. Recently I asked the colgate makers about gluten, and they can not be certain they are gluten-free

One of my children uses Tom's - it is organic, and it doesn't have flouride. Flouride seems to bothers her thyroid

Feb 9, 07 - Positive gene test D2 -Celiac Disease and Positive D3 for Gluten Sensitivity-Double Whammy!

Positive blood test for antibodies for celiac

SEVERE Gluten Ataxia - trouble speaking - could not even turn my head side to side - almost bedridden

March 07 - 2 different doctors have documented my records as confirmed Celiac

Oct 07 - found a secret to feeling better - no processed foods - The healing comes from eating raw vegetables, and fruits!

Husband - tested = celiac gene+diabetes gene

3 children-

youngest - doc wont test has w/ Hashimoto Disease

middle- tested = celiac gene+lymphoma gene - dx-celiac

oldest - ignores warnings

my son uses the JASON nutrasmile orange-cinnamint kind. It's at healthfood stores and I've recently seen in my local grocery heath food isle. This one also does not have flouride, I use it too.

Also use the search engine on this site, it's very helpful for me to find out stuff quickly.

Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07

**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:

Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

Recently I asked the colgate makers about gluten, and they can not be certain they are gluten-free.

This is probably a CYA statement. If they obtain ingredients from another source, or even for reasons associated with internal processes, most companies will now say that they "cannot guarantee" or "cannot be certain" that the product is gluten-free. Colgate used to say that they were gluten-free. I use Colgate, and have for years. No problems. Too many lawyers, not enough celiacs [apologies to broncobux].

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

My kids use Crest vanilla flavor. It's been more than a year since I called Crest, but back then they were saying all their toothpastes were okay. It's probably time to call again, though.

One kids' toothpaste that isn't gluten-free is the Hello Kitty toothpaste. I believe it's made by a company called Sanio. Again, it was about a year ago when I contacted that company. Like Colgate, they had a disclaimer statement. I think my daughter was having a reaction to it, though. I don't recommend it for celiacs.

If you're just looking for a fun way to get kids to brush their teeth, my kids think it's really fun to use the little travel-pack toothpastes. They're not as fun as Hello Kitty, but the kids do have fun with them.