This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yet Another Study Proving That Gluten Is Not The Cause Of Other Autoimmune Diseases

Guest Doll

Guest Doll

From Celiac.com:

Celiac.com 07/10/2007 - Studies have shown children with Type 1 diabetes to have a greater risk of developing celiac disease. A study published recently in Diabetes Care shows that people with celiac disease who follow a strict gluten-free diet frequently have inferior body composition and nutritional uptake compared to healthy people without celiac disease.

Faced with a shortage of solid data on the exact nature of the levels at which children with type 1 diabetes are at risk for developing celiac disease, a Swedish research team set out to review the Swedish national inpatient registry for the years 1964 to 2003. The research team was made up of Anders Ekbom, Michael Fored, Jonas F. Ludvigsson, Johnny Ludvigsson, Nders Ekbom, Ola Ole, & Scott M. Montgomery. They looked at data for patients with celiac disease who are following a strict gluten-free diet, and who were in full clinical, biochemical, and histological remission. They looked at data from 45,680 patients. Children with a one year follow-up after entering the study were added to the final results.

Celiac Disease in Children Linked to Type-1 Diabetes

The results showed that children with celiac disease face an increased risk of developing type 1 diabetes before the age of 20 (hazard ratio 2.4 [95% CI 1.9

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamabear Explorer

Open Original Shared Link

Doll,

I think maybe you should read this abstract from Dr Alessio Fasano from the University of Maryland Celiac center before you close this chapter. I am no fan of Dr Fine's, but I sure am of Dr Fasano! Actually Ken Fine may be onto something, he just hasn't proven it to me yet.

Guest Doll

Doll,

I think maybe you should read this abstract from Dr Alessio Fasano from the University of Maryland Celiac center before you close this chapter. I am no fan of Dr Fine's, but I sure am of Dr Fasano! Actually Ken Fine may be onto something, he just hasn't proven it to me yet.

I am a fan of Dr. Fasano too! :) However, this study does *NOT* say that gluten or untreated Celiac is the cause other autoimmune disorders. All it says is that both Celiac and other autoimmune disorders share a leaky gut, and that the point of entry for the triggers of these diseases are the intestines. Basically, he is saying that all autoimmune disorders share a common dysfunction in intestinal gaps (probably due to shared genetics) and the point of entry for the triggers is the same. It doesn't say that the triggers are the same, though.

This idea is the basis for Alba's AT-1001 zonulin inhibitor (this research led by Dr. Fasano), which is meant to close those gaps and possibly prevent ALL autoimmune diseases, regardless of the triggers.

I hope it works! :)

P.S. I still think Dr.Fine is out to make money off of people, but I am not opposed to him proving me wrong. That's kind of hard to do with no published data, though...

I also agree that gluten *may* speed up the process or encourage autoimmunity by making the gut even more leakier and allowing more triggers in, but I do NOT think that it alone is the actual trigger for other autoimmune diseases.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

All I can speak of is my own experience. While the concensus is out on whether gluten 'causes' autoimmune disease for me the avoidance of it has put my autoimmune diseases in complete remission. Very little is know about celiac when you get right down to it, it is doubtful that they have even found all the genes for it yet. It can cause severe autoimmune destruction of many, many organs including the brain. There are some excellent articles to be found, I am giving you a link to a really good one. Be sure to note that they are also addressing the issue of silent celiacs and their relationship to autoimmune disorders as well as those of us with severe symptoms. They also refer to Celiac patients who are diagnosed in childhood and also have a genetic predisposition to Type 1 diabetes seeming to be able to avoid the development of the diabetes by strictly adhering to the diet. This is not a direct quote but the info is on page 1 under the celiac disease heading.

Archived